Need help designing a WLAN

Unanswered Question
Mar 19th, 2009

I want to scrap our D-Link WLAN's and use Cisco devices, but I am so new to CISCO that I don't know what I should have or what devices really need to go together, so I thought I'd ask.

Our non-profit org is a small campus on a former ranch. I want to extend wireless access to 2 other buildings from our Admin bldg. They are both within 110 meters of my outdoor omni-dir. antenna. I would like to have guest access to the internet ONLY, and staff-only access to the LAN.

I have a single Aironet 1131AG access point and like it fairly well (I don't like that I can't do WPA with it unless I also use RADIUS.) I wouldn't mind using more, but .... do I need other Cisco devices to enhance or control them?

(Add'l info: I have a Windows Server 2003-based LAN using Active Directory, ISA 2004 with SP2 as my firewall, and I have a Layer-3 switch (VLAN capable) - a D-Link DES-3828P.)

Many thanks in advance!

Mike Webb

1-man IT shop for a conservation non-profit in central Nebraska

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
MIke68847 Fri, 03/20/2009 - 06:05

I expect I'll need 3 as bridges (one in each building), then a total of 9 AP's (1 in our lab, 4 in the bunk house, and 4 in our admin building).

Actions

This Discussion