Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ruggedized AP's

Hi I have been asked to select a ruggedized AP for a factory location, is the 1250 series the defacto choice or can you point me at something else?

Also they have asked about external Antennas that I surmise to be patch antennas, I have not deployed 1250's yet do they have patch antennas any info much appreciated.

Mick

6 Replies 6

Guys

I will answer my own question here about the Antennas, there is info about the available Antennas at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

For anyone who has a similar query, it would still be cool to hear off any of the experts about what they suggest.

Mick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mick,

The 1250 is THE monster for ruggedized AP. It is built around a steel enclosure/chassis. Take note that the 1250 has one major sticking point that alot of users tend to forget: without a WLC, the AP needs 18.5 watts of power (ePoE) to operate both radio modules.

If your switch is unable to provide ePoE (and you don't have a WLC), then you can get a power injector or remove one of the modules.

If you plan to have the 1250 join a WLC, use the latest firmware, 5.2.X, and it should be able to operate (with both radio modules) at 15.4 watts.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks it really does help, I find answers on here like yours contain information you would spend days searching for on other sources.

Many thanks.

Mick

Are you sure you can operate both radios using 5.2 and 15.4mW. The 1250 requires at least 16.8w and that means the 2.4ghz will run on reduced power.

AP1250 with two RM1252 radio modules installed: 18.5W

AP1250 with one RM1252 radio module installed: 12.95W

Note: For a 1250 Series Access Point with two radios, 18.5W is the maximum power required at the access point (powered device). When deployed using PoE, the power drawn from the power sourcing equipment will be higher by some amount dependent on the length of the interconnecting cable. This additional power may be as high as 1.5W, bringing the total system power draw (access point + cabling) to 20W. A similar consideration applies for a 1250 Series Access Point with one radio.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We have a couple of installs with 1250's where only standard 802.3af power is being used currently. It will power both radio modules but you lose the 802.11n capability. The WLC version we are running is 4.2.130.0.

Hey Scott,

I'm using 5.2 firmware and I'm surprised to see the 1250 operate at 15.4 watts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: