Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS server IP problem...

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

We have a DC (plus DNS) server in our datacenter. This server has two IP's, one for teamed NIC (which is the main production IP), the second IP is for backup network (which enables the storage/backup for teh server data). The production IP is X.Y.3.Z and the backup NIC IP is X.Y.200.Z.... Now the problem is whenever there is a DNS replication OR AD replication among main server and all additional servers, they all resolves to X.Y.200.Z IP for the main server. Ideally it should resolve to X.Y.3.Z... As the backup-network X.Y.200.0/24 is non-routable into WAN, the replication also gives problems as the server some hostname was pointing to an IP which not reachable/routed from additional domain controllers. I'm not sure how successful I am in explaining you guys abt this problem. Is there something which forces a DNS server to take the highest possible IP on any NIC of the server?

Thanks and regards,

--Gaurav

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gaurav

Not sure how related this is to Cisco but...

I would suggest having 2 different DNS names for this server, one for the production name and one for the backup names and then within AD resolve these names to 2 different IP address.

So machines on production would always reference it's production DNS name and resolve to the X.Y.3.Z ip address. And the backup/storage devices should reference the backup DNS name and resolve to X.Y.200.Z.

Jon

I'm sorry Jon, this is a non-cisco question...

Thanks for your inputs on it... I really appreceate it..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card