Views
Helpful
Replies

Instant Messaging delay with Presence Server and CUPC

BlackAvenger
Level 1
Level 1

Hey gents,

I'm experiencing a 30-60 sec delay while sending instant messages with the CUPC. Is this normal for a Presence Server deployment? I'm running Presence Server 7 with CUCM 7. I though that it should be send instantly as the name implies :)? If I'm sending messages from the IPPM they appear instantly in the message box of the users CUPC. Any hints or reasons why this happens?

Many thanks,

Sebastian

21 Replies 21

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

Delay was usually caused by DNS issue or mis-configured Server Contact Name.

We'll need SIP Proxy log and sniffer capture from server to troubleshoot.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com/

Hey Michael,

many thanks for your answer. Please find attached the Sip Proxy log. I haven't had a chance yet to capture traffic from the server. Hopefully the log gives some explanation for the delay as I found some errors in it.

Many thanks,

Seb

SIP Proxy trace level was not set to 'Debug'. It's hard to tell what caused the problem. But here's the error:

03/19/2009 13:06:39.759 ESP|PID(12894) sip_protocol.c(5849) First line of message is Bad

03/19/2009 13:06:39.760 ESP|ID(12894) Response dropped, reason: Message is incomplete or not properly terminated

Michael

Hey Michael,

thanks again for ur response. Please find attached a more detailed log now.

Many thanks,

Seb

This looks like a known bug. What version of CUPS are you running? 7.0.2 or 7.0.3?

Try restart SIP proxy and see if you got the same symptom?

Also, try upgrade to the latest 7.0.3.10102-3:

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=7.0.3.10102-3&mdfid=281820245&sftType=Unified+Presence+Server+(CUPS)+Updates&optPlat=&nodecount=6&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unified+Presence+Version+7.0&treeMdfId=278875240&modifmdfid=null&imname=&treeName=Voice+and+Unified+Communications&hybrid=Y&imst=N

Michael

Hey Michael,

I'm running 7.0.1 at the moment. If I want to upgrade to this ES do I have install 7.0.3 first? Do you know the bug ID for the encountered bug?

Many Thanks,

Sebastian

Hey Michael,

I've successfully upgraded to the latest version and applied the engineering special as well. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem with the delay in the instant messages. Is it possible that this delay is due to the fact that the system is running on a VMWare?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Seb

can you set "SIP Proxy" and "Presence Engine" debug to the highest level (I think it's "debug")? Then reproduce the problem and collect those logs.

Thanks!

Michael

Hey Michael,

will do that on Monday, don't have access to the equipment over the weekend.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Thanks,

Seb

Hey Michael,

please find attached the "SIP proxy" and "Presence Engine" Logs. Hopefully you can find something in those logs.

Many thanks,

Seb

For the user "Heinz London", does he has himself on his CUPC contact list?

Michael

nope he doesn't ... at least not intentionally.

Seb

Michael,

I just encountered another thing I'm not quite sure about if it should work like this. If I send a instant message from user to another online user I only receive the message on one messaging system. The receiver, however, is logged into CUPC and IPPM. Shouldn't I see the message on both systems?

On the IPPM system, to see the messages I have to login everytime I want to receive a message ... is there a way to change this?

Thanks,

Seb

can you restart SIP proxy service and test with no IPPM user logged in? And get the proxy logs.

By doing this, we can eliminate IPPM from the picture.

Thanks!

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: