cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Performace Routing

Mohamad Qayoom
Level 3
Level 3

We are using a Catalyst 3560G switch as our border router, and we are looking into Performance Routing(PfR). We are running BGP on this router and connect to two ISPs.

What I have read so far about PfR tells me that you can use it if you have two border routers each connected to an ISP. Does anyone know how we can benefit from PfR?

Thanks,

Mohamad

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Does anyone know how we can benefit from PfR?"

Yes, its major features are it can dynamically load balance your link loads and it can redirect flows to use the best performing path for that flow.

However, as far as I know PfR isn't supported on the 3560 series. The only L3 device I recall that supports it, is the 6500 (and 7600?) and there are limitiations on that platform.

I thank you both for your responses.

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Performance routing takes int measurments lots of criterial, which allows for choosing optimal path and dynamically swith to another path incase of utilization drops, delays ..etc

Normal routing protocol chooses thier best path based on metric/cost, although the best path could some times not be the optimal path interms of performance.

Performance routing takse into measurment the following:

1- Performance of Link.

2- loadbalancing.

3- Cost minimization.

The performance of link include, packet loss, delay, jitter, utilization of alink.

Performance routing consist of the following:

1- One master controller.

2- 2 or more Border routers.

3- 2 or more egress interfaces.

FOr enhabncing your WAN experience , I highly recommend befit from both:

1- Performance routing.

2- WAAS

Integrating the WAAS with performance routing would acheve highly Enhanced WAN performance.

HTH

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco