Replies

QOS COS

mikegrous
Level 3
Level 3

I want to make sure i have this correct:

lets say a 3560 switch here:

mls qos is enabled, nothing else.

packet comes in at cos 5.. it will get rewritten to 0. The reason it is 0 is because the mls qos cos 0 command which is default. If i change this command to mls qos cos 1 then all packets would be cos 1. Correct?

Adding to above scenario. If i do mls qos trust cos.. all cos packets coming in at 5 will remain at 5. All packets coming in unmarked will get changed to cos 1. Is this correct?

Building on that. If i now do mls qos override. ALL Packets will get changed to cos 1.

Am i wrong in any of my above understanding?

3 Replies 3

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Queueing evaluates the QoS label and the corresponding DSCP or CoS value to select into which of the two ingress queues to place a packet.

I hope below link explains the mls qos cos & mls qos trust cos.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swqos.html

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

"The reason it is 0 is because the mls qos cos 0 command which is default"

Correct.

"If i change this command to mls qos cos 1 then all packets would be cos 1"

Yes, correct again. By using this command you have changed default value of a port to be Cos 1. So any untagged packets will have their value set to Cos 1.

"Building on that. If i now do mls qos override. ALL Packets will get changed to cos 1"

Yes, correct again.

Your understanding is spot on.

Jon

Hi Jon, are these the same with dscp?

We are having trouble with our present setup:

We have two 4500 switches, A and B that are connected by a trunk link. The packet leaves Switch A with a mark of QoS 5 but the value returns to default after passing through the link. Why do you think this issue occurs even though qos trust dscp is configured?

Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card