Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Ciscoworks Groups Programatically

Hi,

The title says it all - I have about 5000+ switches and routers which I need to place into about 1200 groups. If I used the GUI it would take forever to do this so I was wondering if there was a way to do it programatically? I can use the device name to identify which group to assign it to.

2 Replies 2

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

There's only one problem, Ciscoworks doesn't support 1200 groups, a closer number to reason would be 100 groups.

With that said, you can automatically assign devices to group based on their attributes like:

IP address

Device.ManagementIpAddress range "10.[96-118].[0-255].[0-255]"

hostname

Device.DisplayName contains "bubba"

device model

Device.Model equals "2948"

what organization it belongs to

Device.DomainName endswith "bubba.org"

and so on , there are 14 fields that you can parse combine or discriminate with using Boolean operators AND OR EXCLUDE. Thee of the fields are user definable.

Hi Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't aware of the 100 group limitation which seems rather low. I was aware of the flexbility of group creation using the GUI but I thought that with the cwcli interface or something equivalent I might be able to script it

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: