cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Smartports

jeff.cook
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone use smartports? They look like a great idea. When I do searches for smartports all I find is people saying how to configure them, but no opinions as to it they use them or not. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this feature.

I have a network with 70 routers and switches.

Thank You

2 Replies 2

MICHEL.HEGERAAT
Level 1
Level 1

Well, as far as I can see these are just basic ios command put in a macro, so your smartports are as great as the ios commands you put in....

I think I only used marcos on CatOS. I don't think cisco marketing machine was aware of these commands then :-)

Cheers,

Michel

I think it could be a good idea if you have a few standard configurations that could be applied to interfaces. Like the interface could be used as an en-host port, a voice port or a server port - and if you want to enable e.g staff to change the 'function' of one of these ports with an easy one-liner; but it could also be work to have the macro available on every switch where they are needed - on the other hand they can be deployed with a net-config job and verified with baseline templates; so there are several pro's and con'sdepending on the kind of network, the number of changes and who is doing a change - which should be all considered before introducing them.

BTW, I only know of one customer who used it in the past...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: