WLC Service Port

Answered Question
Mar 21st, 2009
User Badges:

Hi, Anyone tried to use the WLC service port as a management port in management vlan and being routed as well.

Thnak you

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 8 years 4 months ago

You will have to and you also have to make sure there is no communication between the managememnt / ap-manager interface and the service port. if there is, you will have issues and this is why I never connect the service port to the network. If your management is down... most likely your wlc is down too.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Sat, 03/21/2009 - 10:29
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

As you know... it is best practice not to do that, but as long as the management interface and the service port never communicates with each other, you should be fine. Are you trying to access the WLC through the service port if the managment interface is unavailable?

ramarao Sun, 03/22/2009 - 06:35
User Badges:

Yup, I am thinking to use the service port as a backup of management interface, but it looks like the IP segment cannot be the same for both interface.

So, maybe i use different segment for management interface.

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Sun, 03/22/2009 - 10:54
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You will have to and you also have to make sure there is no communication between the managememnt / ap-manager interface and the service port. if there is, you will have issues and this is why I never connect the service port to the network. If your management is down... most likely your wlc is down too.

Actions

This Discussion