Views
Helpful
Replies

AppleTalk Phase 1 (yeah, I said it!!!)

CriscoSystems
Level 5
Level 5

Hello fellow netheads.

It is necessary to get some gnarly old-school AppleTalk networking going on in my extremely funky overnetworked basement!!! I was reading through Cisco's documentation and I'm a bit confused when it says AppleTalk Phase 1 allows "only one network number."

Do they mean what I THINK they mean; that a physical network segment can only have one network number on it, as opposed to Phase 2 with its multi-network-numbered cable range?

OR, do they mean that an AppleTalk Phase 1 network can only have the one network number in the whole outfit; that it can't even be internetworked with other Phase 1 networks?

'Cause that would be a bummer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Only one network number, i.e., like NETBIOS/NETBEUI ... as in: "no layer three info and no room for it in the header."

Minor bummer, yes ... but it cold be worse, it could be serial Appletalk (I think what you have is "EtherTalk Phase 1").

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Only one network number, i.e., like NETBIOS/NETBEUI ... as in: "no layer three info and no room for it in the header."

Minor bummer, yes ... but it cold be worse, it could be serial Appletalk (I think what you have is "EtherTalk Phase 1").

Good Luck

Scott

Well then I wonder why there even is a "network number;" if no other networks are going to exist in relation to it.

(re EtherTalk: no, I'm talking LocalTalk. If what I've read is correct; Phase 1 can only operate over LocalTalk. No serial, no Ethy-baby, no Tokey-baby, no standardized anything.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card