cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restore to default with just IOS left

OUTOFTIME
Level 1
Level 1

I have mucked up my system to the point where I need to rebuild it ... but after many, many hours I've not had any luck figuring it out myself. I've looked through most of the "restore from default" type posts, but still can't make it happen.

I can start the system from the console, but can't connect through CCA.

I believe my flash is gone except for the IOS image (uc-500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2). I have a zipped UC500-7.0.2 and CCA 1.9.1 on my PC, but CCA won't discover the UC500. ( Even if it did, I'm not sure where to go from there. )

I'm a newbie ... just learning CLI, so please be pretty specific if you are able to help.

Thanks,

--Thomas

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I think I've been in that boat, almost, but CCA was working for me.

I'm guessing also that a configuration, IP network etc... is still loaded on your UC520.

I would do a 'show flash' to show if the Operating System (OS) file is still loaded on your UC520.

That operating system file should be listed.

Also if you do a show run, hopefully the running configuration is running,  i hope at least the IP address of the data vlan is present.

If you can do those commands, it means that your OS is running on the UC520.

You should be able to use CCA to create a new community, maybe called reload, with the seed address 192.168.10.1.

Then if possible use CCA to perform a software upgrade  and use that zipped package file as the file to reload CME and well as maybe CUE.

i will monitor this site for updates, but it sure looks like if you get stuck, call your cisco  TAC to give some guidance on software restore.

View solution in original post

Inside the 7.0.2 zip files is a bunch of factory default configuration files with names like UC520W-8U-FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg.  Grab the file that corresponds to your hardware and load it into the UC500 nvram.  Given that it sounds like the config is completely gone, the easiest way to do this might be to use a compact flash reader on a PC and copy the file onto the compact flash card.  Then put the CF card back in the uc 500, get on the console, and enter the commands 'copy flash:UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg startup' and then 'reload'.  That should restore the box to the point where CCA can be used again.

Note that it is important to select the right config file for your hardware.  So UC520W if it is a wireless box and UC520 if not; xxU where xx corresponds to the number of users supported by the box (8, 16, 24, 32, or 48); and xFXO or xBRI or T-E-x depending on the PSTN ports in the box.  If you get the wrong file, then your results could be a little unpredictable.

Once you have been able to connect to the box with CCA, use the Maintenance > Software Upgrade tab to apply the 7.0.2 software bundle to the box and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dave.

It might be smart to use CCA to restore the box to factory defaults since you did a copy to running-config rather than startup.  When you copy to running, IOS merges the actual running config with whatever you are copying, which can result in some unexpected bits of configuration being left in place.  If you factory default the box before starting to configure it, you eliminate any chance of that sort of leftover config coming back and biting you later.

Cheers,

Dave.

16 Replies 16

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I think I've been in that boat, almost, but CCA was working for me.

I'm guessing also that a configuration, IP network etc... is still loaded on your UC520.

I would do a 'show flash' to show if the Operating System (OS) file is still loaded on your UC520.

That operating system file should be listed.

Also if you do a show run, hopefully the running configuration is running,  i hope at least the IP address of the data vlan is present.

If you can do those commands, it means that your OS is running on the UC520.

You should be able to use CCA to create a new community, maybe called reload, with the seed address 192.168.10.1.

Then if possible use CCA to perform a software upgrade  and use that zipped package file as the file to reload CME and well as maybe CUE.

i will monitor this site for updates, but it sure looks like if you get stuck, call your cisco  TAC to give some guidance on software restore.

Inside the 7.0.2 zip files is a bunch of factory default configuration files with names like UC520W-8U-FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg.  Grab the file that corresponds to your hardware and load it into the UC500 nvram.  Given that it sounds like the config is completely gone, the easiest way to do this might be to use a compact flash reader on a PC and copy the file onto the compact flash card.  Then put the CF card back in the uc 500, get on the console, and enter the commands 'copy flash:UC520W-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg startup' and then 'reload'.  That should restore the box to the point where CCA can be used again.

Note that it is important to select the right config file for your hardware.  So UC520W if it is a wireless box and UC520 if not; xxU where xx corresponds to the number of users supported by the box (8, 16, 24, 32, or 48); and xFXO or xBRI or T-E-x depending on the PSTN ports in the box.  If you get the wrong file, then your results could be a little unpredictable.

Once you have been able to connect to the box with CCA, use the Maintenance > Software Upgrade tab to apply the 7.0.2 software bundle to the box and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dave.

What if i can't read the flash card in any CF-reader?

I've tried 4 different readers in 4 different computers and they all reboot/die or hang when i insert the UC520 card.

Faulty flash card(the UC520 doesnt seem to have any problem with it though) or am i missing something? Do i need a special reader for the cisco flash card?

Can i do a complete restart on a new flash-card?

Regards

Johan

Johan,

I have seen a CF problem with Windows XP where it starts to read files then you get the blue screen of death. If you have a MAC or a windows Vista machine these operating systems do not seem to have this issue and will allow you to work with the files directly on the CF.

Cheers,

Douglas Smith

Customer Support Engineer
Small Business  Systems Business Unit

silverbane,

I bought a $15 Targus reader at Wal-mart and had no problems with that part.

Tried it on Vista too, same thing happens. How big does it have to be to be able to update to 7.x.x?

Mine is 128MB with 100MB free.

This is starting to get silly....

I am not clear on what you want to do here. Is your problem related to the original post from "OUTOFTIME"? (CCA was unable to recognize the system)

Or you just want to put some files on the UC500 flash using your computer and you can't because the PC won't read it?

The reason why I ask, is because if you are able to run CCA, you can bring the system to factory defaults using the "Maintenance" menu.

Marcos

I'm sorry for highjacking this thread.

What i wanted to do in the first place was move all the files to a new (larger) CF-card. Because when i tried to do an upgrade i got an error msg stating i was out of memory on the flash card. This was done in CCA 1.8 and the "upgrade settings"-module said i only had 10MB free space. So i wanted to copy all files to a new CF-card with more capacity. But as soon as i insert the CF-card into the cardreader in any of my computers they either reboot/die or get a BSoD (XP and Vista).

I've tried with numerous other CF-cards and they all work like a charm. Only the UC520-card crashes my computers.

After updating to CCA 1.9.1 i got a nifty checker that automagically cleaned the CF-card and lo and behold i had 100MB free space :)

But i still get errors doing the upgrade. The IOS-file copies itself well and good. but the CME-files doesnt. After about 35 minutes i get an error msg saying it could not copy the CME files.

How much do i need on the card to be able to update the system to 7.x.x(from 4.2.7)? Does it matter at all?

You are not hijacking the thread, don't worry. The two problems are related.

Have you experienced a power outage or sudden power interruption at the site? I am thinking that you may need to open a TAC case to track this formally through our Support Team. Although reading the CF from a PC should work, it is really not an official way to move files around (TFTP is prefered).

Thanks,

Marcos

Progress!

I downloaded the 7.1 package and updated to the IOS version in the 7.1 package. Then i did a software upgrade of the CUE through the CCA... and it worked!!

I'll do some more testing when i have the time. Untill then, thanks for all the help.

EDIT: Now it looks like everything works. I did a full software update to 7.1 and no errors while doing it.

regards

Johan

Hi

I have a problem to restore to factory configuration my UC500. I look for the UC520-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-x.x.x.cfg archive in flash memory and I found nothing, so, i can not copy that configuration into start up config, can anybody tell me where can I get that file? And where do i can see what hardware do i have? you said that is important to use the version that fits my hardware right?

Thank you for your help, i really need it.

Gustavo.

You will be able to tell your box's information using the "show version" command.  You can get the factory configuration file from the software packs available for download from this site.

Thank you very much Skyler, this help me a lot

And thank you to all the people working for this site, you do a wonderful work and help many people.

Gustavo

OUTOFTIME
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Dave and Dave. The flash part looks to have gone fine

-#- --length-- -----date/time------ path
1        20866 Feb 23 2009 13:08:06 +00:00 UC520-8U-4FXO-K9-factory-7.0.2.cfg
2     28064456 Feb 9 2009 18:58:22 +00:00 uc500-advipservicesk9-mz.124-20.T2

but I cant get the CCA to discover the device. Will I have to figure out how to go in and modify the default settings by hand to get a valid community going, or am I missing something simple?

--Thomas

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: