cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Terminal Server Question with NM-32A

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I have a Cisco 2811 with NM-32A. I setup all my hosts properly but when I connect the screen fills up with all giberish.

I get this output everytime I connect to a new router and eventually get the command prompt.

-----------------------------------------

R5#SW1

Translating "SW1"

Trying SW1 (1.1.1.1, 2075)... Open

dl[“æ

k+cö“Vs

c+F{fKs#6{kƒ«£+“##“+››k

SW1#

SW1#R5>SW1#% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

SW1#

SW1# ^

% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

SW1#

SW1#$nput detected atomputer name, or unable to find computer address

^

SW1#

SW1#R5>

SW1#

SW1#R5>SW1#R5>

SW1#

SW1#% Unknown command or computnvalid input detected at '^' marker.

^

SW1#

SW1#

SW1#

SW1#R5>

SW1#

SW1#R5>SW1#

SW1#

SW1#% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

^

SW1#

SW1#R5>

SW1#

SW1#R5>mputer name, or unable to find computer address

^

SW1#

---------------------------------------

Anyone know why this occurs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sparky

Have you configured "no exec" on the async lines of the terminal server? If not, configure it and see if the symptoms improve.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sparky

Have you configured "no exec" on the async lines of the terminal server? If not, configure it and see if the symptoms improve.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That did the trick!

Sparky

I am glad that you got your problem resolved and that my suggestion pointed the way to the solution. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will see a solution to the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

In my case, after setting up the term server I can

1. telnet to the term server from a LAN to manage the other devices from off it

2. when in the term server, i have access to all my devices and i can switch between sessions fine.

However my problem is that, after some time

1. I am no longer able to telnet to the term server from the LAN

2. when i console to the term server, my console becomes unresponsive and

3. if i try to reboot my term server, after my LAN interfaces are activated the router hangs and nothing works again.

I am using a 2811 with 16 port octal cable.

Please what could be the problem?

Oluwatodimu

I can make suggestions about some of your issues:

1) A common configuration that can cause problems where you can no longer telnet to a router is to configure exec-timeout 0 (or the equivalent config of no exec-timeout) on the vty lines. Have you configured exec-timeout on the vty lines of your term server?

2) there are several things that might cause the console to be unresponsive. have you configured "no exec" under line console 0? If so remove this from line console 0. Or there might be some issue with the console port. Does the term server have an AUX port? If so can you access the term server via the AUX port? Or there might be some issue in the router that is impacting operation of the command line. Does the console operate normally when you reboot the router?

3) I do not understand this issue. When you attempt to reboot the term server are you saying that it hangs and does not reboot? Does it generate any kind of message when you attempt to reboot?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Please see the link below and search for

CSCsl15443

http://cisco-images.test.edgekey.net/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/release/notes/124MCAVS.pdf

1. I do not have no exec or no exec-timeout under the vty lines.

2. even though I presently have the no exec command under my console line, I still experienced the same problem when the command was not there.

3. Image a situation where the term server is ok. You just managed all your attached devices and everything was fine, saved your configs but then you decided to reboot the term server. The term server reboots fine, decompresses the IOS, begins to bring up the interfaces and than hangs after bringing up f0/0 and f0/1 and no keystrokes or input work any longer. Then i detach all the devices I am managing and reboot the router and then the same thing happens, it hangs. The router will not boot completely until after I recover it and it boots up with blank configs. Then i put back the configs and the term server is working but now i cant dare to restart again.

Below are my configs

no ip domain lookup

ip host R1 2014 5.5.5.5

ip host BB3 2002 5.5.5.5

ip host BB2 2003 5.5.5.5

ip host SW4 2004 5.5.5.5

ip host SW3 2005 5.5.5.5

ip host SW2 2006 5.5.5.5

ip host SW1 2007 5.5.5.5

ip host BB1 2008 5.5.5.5

ip host R6 2009 5.5.5.5

ip host R5 2010 5.5.5.5

ip host R4 2011 5.5.5.5

ip host R3 2012 5.5.5.5

ip host R2 2013 5.5.5.5

ip host FR-SW 2015 5.5.5.5

no ipv6 cef

!

interface Loopback1

ip address 5.5.5.5 255.255.255.255

line con 0

exec-timeout 0 0

transport output all

line aux 0

exec-timeout 0 0

no exec

transport input all

flowcontrol hardware

line 0/0/0 0/0/15

no exec

transport input all

flowcontrol hardware

line vty 0 4

password cisco

login

line vty 5 15

password password

login

Oluwatodimu

There is a big difference between "no exec" and "no exec-timeout" (or exec-timeout 0). Your console has exec-timeout 0 and that probably is ok (and I certainly do not see how that could produce the symptoms that you describe). No exec would be bad and could produce the symptoms that you describe.

The release notes show that bug as present in 12.4(25) and as resolved in 12.4(25b). So what version of code are your running? If you think that you might be running into a bug then I suggest that you try some different version of IOS and see if it resolves your issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I am running 12.4(b) and i still have the same problems.

Hi Rick,

I am running 12.4(25b) the earlier post was an error.

Oluwatodimu

If you are running 12.4(25b) then the release notes indicate that the bug should be resolved in the code that you are running. I have experienced situations where I ran into something that looked like a known bug, even though the version of code that I was running had supposedly fixe the bug. Either the release notes were not correct about the bug fix, or I was running into something related, but not quite exactly the fixed bug.

I still suggest that if you suspect a bug is causing the problem that you change the version of code (in this case to something earlier - since you are running the most recent code) and see if that resolves the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: