cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a new 6500 switch on LAN

emrivera01
Level 1
Level 1

We will be adding 2 new Cisco 6500 onto the network. This 2 switches will eventually replace the 2 old ones. Procedures will be as follows:

When introducing the 1st switch I will do the following:

- make sure its setup as a client

- make sure revision # is 0

- make sure its part of the vtp domain

- once on network & vlans are seen on new switch, configure switch as secondary root bridge & configure switch as a server

Anything else i'm missing?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

"Anything else i'm missing?"

Yeah, disable VTP and never use it again. Unless the benefit of having it enabled is phenomenal, get rid of it because it's more of a hassle and potentially dangerous than it's worth.

HTH

Victor

Emiliano

Your description says you will do this for the first switch. But you would need to do the steps for both switches as they are added.

The plan that you describe addresses only layer 2 issues. Are these switches only doing layer 2 switching, or are they also going to do layer 3 routing?

If you currently are running VTP I can see keeping VTP for the sake of consistency. But I believe that the suggestion from Victor to eliminate VTP has merit and should be considered.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I will do it for both switches. Layer 3 is being performed by the 2 old 6500. Once I bring both new switches into production, I will migrate the routing onto the new 6500's (tweaking HSRP, OSPF, etc.) 1 vlan at a time. Eventually I will configure one of the new switches as the root bridge. We are running VTP, so i would need to keep it for consistency. I would love to get rid of it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card