cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM: Overlapping major subnets on two interfaces, problem?

dgoodridge
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This one has really got me scracthing my head. Imagine three interfaces INSIDE, OUTSIDE and DMZ at security levels 100, 10 and 100.

Access rules are in place to permit traffic from INSIDE to DMZ and also INSIDE to OUTSIDE. There is also a 10.0.0.0/8 to 10.0.0.0/8 NAT rule (no nat really) between INSIDE - DMZ and INSIDE - OUTSIDE.

Subnets on the inside are 10.96.x.x subnets on the outside are 10.97.x.x. DMZ subnets are 172.x.x.x. All necessary specific routes are in place.

When a connection is attempted from within INSIDE to a subnet on the OUTSIDE it doesn't work, nor does it get logged as dropped. If I send some traffic that is blocked then it correctly gets logged, however here is the funny thing; within the logs it shows the destination as being within the DMZ! So my guess is that all permitted traffic is actually being wrongly routed into the DMZ instead of the OUTSIDE interface. But why? The routes are in place so why would it do this?

Is it because the NAT rules (10.0.0.0/8) are overlapping and therefore the ASA thinks it has some kind of connection open into the DMZ and uses it?

Would it help if I use dynamic NATs and only specify the specific destination subnets for each interface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure this is something simple.

Regards,

Doug

1 Reply 1

nkhawaja
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am definite, that the overlapping translation rule is causing this issue. instead of having the rule for 10.x.x.x/8, either hav a rule for 10.96,x,x (which is your inside)

or define conditional translation rule.

you can also test by removing the translation rule with a simple PAT rule.

I have seen this issue before, if you have the whole 10x defined for the inside, the ASA will assume that 10x resides on the inside network

thanks

Nadeem

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: