Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Own APs as Honeypot?!

Hello Group,

my newly deployed Wireless has some little quirks. One of them is that APs on the same Controller (AP 1250 and WiSM) detect each other as honeypot - sending a trap, but than it is nowhere in the rogues (it shouldn't, so this is good) - but the trap is sent. This is very annoying.

Potential Honeypot AP detected from Rogue MAC : 00:24:14:31:d9:1f on Base Radio MAC : 00:24:14:31:d7:20 Interface no:1(802.11a) with SSID: ssid

both APs are on the same controller, the detectet AP has another base radio mac of course, but this mac belongs to it on one SSID.

Is this a Bug or something misconfigured?

Edit to add: oh, right, I'm running 5.2.157.0

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stefan,

1. This is a bug since the early 4.x days.

2. It's mostly cause/aggravated with the fact that the "honeypot" AP is located too close to the other AP. You can try to relocate the AP somewhere else or modify the settings for the Radio Resource Management.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Stefan,

1. This is a bug since the early 4.x days.

2. It's mostly cause/aggravated with the fact that the "honeypot" AP is located too close to the other AP. You can try to relocate the AP somewhere else or modify the settings for the Radio Resource Management.

wow, open bug since years...

anyway, thank you for that clarification!

Thanks for the rating.

I have release 7.6 and got the same and WAP's are 70' away from each other and the are in the lower Tx Power option

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bug ID: CSCsv78027

It should be fixed with the soon-to-be-released firmware 6.0(32.0).

Hi all,

we have same problem with the currently last version 5.2.178 (WiSM).

Thanks a lot.

Bye,

Artem

Hello All,

We are having the same issues with 4404's running 5.2.178.

With WCS version 5.2.130 we are getting tons of "AP impersonation" errors also.

Thanks,

Scott Saluga

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: