Hi all

i have a Catalyst 6500

and i can't really find the difference between

sup-bootflash:

slavesup-bootflash:

bootflash:

slavebootflash:

the first 2 are for the 2 supervisors

but why would i need the last 2? and what are their functions when i have 2 supervisors?

Thank you

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sup-Bootflash: is the flash of the HOT supervisor blade.

Slavesup-Bootflash: is the flash of the STANDBY supervisor blade.

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bart,

In the supervisor card with MSFC, it contains two (2) components, switch processor (SP) and route process (RP). Switch processor provides L2 functions and route process provides L3 functions.

sup-bootflash: is the active switch processor's (SP) flash memory.

slavesup-bootflash: is the standby switch process's (SP) flash memory.

bootflash: is the active MSFC's (RP) flash memory.

slavebootflash: is the standby MSFC's (RP) flash memory.

In native mode, SP (L2) and RP (L3) are on IOS, IOS image doesn't need to be stored in bootflash: or slavebootflash:. The IOS image stored in sup-bootflash: and slavesup-bootflash: can boot up the both supervisor and MSFC.

If you are using hybrid mode, where the SP (L2) is on CatOS and the RP (L3)is on IOS, then the CatOS image will be stored in sup-bootflash: and slavesup-bootflash:, and the IOS image will be stored in bootflash: and slavebootflash:.

HTH,

jerry

Hi

its very good info:

but i am having hybrid version

i am getting this error

DC-6513-1> (enable) dir sup-bootflash:

Open device sup-bootflash failed (unknown devi

karthik

Hi Karthik,

In CatOS, there is no concept of sup-bootflash:, it use the device name of bootflash: or bootdisk: depend on which supervisor cards are in your Cat6500. Please see the following link for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/catos/8.x/configuration/guide/flash.html#wp1019835

HTH,

jerry

Hi Jerry

thank you for this clear explanation

i would say this topic can be closed but i see others still have some questions so i wasn't alone with questions :)

I have upgraded cisco IOS 12.2 to 15.2. after upgradating so many boot images view in boot variable command 

why it is showing so many boot images showing?C4500-After upgrade so many boot images-1.jpgC4500-After upgrade so many boot images.jpg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card