cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac-table information on LMS....

eliaspaulos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, is there any mechanism help me to gather a mac-table information from all my switches.I want to build a mac-table database.Thanks in advance for any information.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I misunderstood. You said "none Cisco APs", not non-Cisco APs. Non-Cisco APs will show up in UT provided they are not connected via trunk ports, or trunk port acquisition is enabled.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is the primary purpose of Campus Manager User Tracking. It queries all VLANs on all switches for the CAM/MAC tables, then queries the ARP tables on all managed routers to map those MACs to IP addresses. As long as your switches are managed by Campus Manager, start a new User Tracking acquisition, and you should have all of your MACs in the UT end hosts report.

thanks a lot J. let me give you what exactly I am looking for. I know end host information on UT.if I am not wrong that is information for like pc printer..so on

I am most interested on access points attached to Switches.CAN I get a mac address of Ap's which attached on switch also on campus manager report. if so where this data base located. my plan is to write a script to pull this data from CiscoWorks and stored month worth of information somewhere else for security scanning.

Standalone APs which show up on the Topology Map will not show up as end hosts in UT. For managed devices, you can use RME custom inventory reports to pull out MAC addresses, but that will not be using the MAC tables from switches.

If the APs are LWAPPs, then they will show up as end hosts in the UT report. You could extract them programmatically using "ut -cli" or cmexport.

unfortunately our APs are not LWAPPs. I think I have to write the script directly to pull mac-table information from all switches and dump the information on database.Thanks a lot for information.

If you find a way of using ciscoworks for this, please let us know in a post.

Hi J. none Cisco Brand Ap's can be found as end devices on user tracking?

Thanks.

Not if they appear on the Topology Map. They will be considered devices, and the ports link ports. If, however, these APs are excluded from Data Collection, then they can show up in UT provided they are not connected to trunk ports, or you have enabled trunk port acquisition.

let me try to understand you clearly. first question, I thought none Cisco Brand devices are managed by LMS. is that correct? second I am not manage any Ap's, all our Ap's excluded from LMS.and no Ap's on topology devices. that means LMS count all Cisco Ap's as end devices. let me back my original question. my objective is to track any none Cisco Ap's attached to our network from UT. can be archived that?

I misunderstood. You said "none Cisco APs", not non-Cisco APs. Non-Cisco APs will show up in UT provided they are not connected via trunk ports, or trunk port acquisition is enabled.

Thank you so much and sorry for my English!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco