cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Web Server Service not starting

mbstrauss
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, every time we try to restart the web server service, the error "The CiscoWorks Web Server on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services services stop automatically if they have no work to do..."

At this point, I've read that it could be conflicting .dlls, and environmental paths not being set properly... I've checked these and at this point it seems to be correct ...

Also, not too sure if this should be running as a Local System service or as a local administrator service?

This is a LMS2.6 installation, however, I'm not too sure what version of Common Services it is running...

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What copies of ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll do you have on this system?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please post a screenshot of the Services control panel showing all of the CiscoWorks services. Hopefully, you have not made any changes here, and doing so will break LMS. Also, post the NMSROOT\MDC\Apache\logs\error.log.

Please find attached the required information.

I've copied the last few entries from the error.log. However, these errors do not correspond to when the web service has been restarted as well, which is quite odd.

Please post the messages you are seeing in the Windows Application Event Viewer.

Thanks jclarke for the prompt response.

Find attached a screen shot of the Application Event Viewer.

I don't see any Apache messages here. Try rebooting this server, and see if Apache starts. Also, check NMSROOT\MDC\Apache for any crash files. You may be seeing an OpenSSL DLL conflict.

jclarke... after the reset, the Daemon Manager isn't automatically starting.

I believe right now that I have to reset the causer to get the daemon manager to start?

That may be the case. There should be an error in the Event Viewer pertaining the Daemon Manager and permissions if resetCasuser.exe needs to be run.

Event Viewer shows that 'The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this machine' and then Daemon Manager is immediately put into a stop state.

I've reset the casuser and restarted Daemon Manager, however the Web Server again goes from start to stop state immediately

I'm not seeing any new entries in the error.log or any crash logs either

What copies of ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll do you have on this system?

Thanks jclarke, just double checked these files and they were previously I believe renamed cwssleay32.dll and cwlibeay32.dll.

I've renamed these back to ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll as suggested and restarted Daemon Manager and seems like everything has restarted again, including the Web Server service ...

I'm now able to get to the login screen but as soon as we login we get the attached error message

You shouldn't be renaming any DLLs. What versions did you have originally, and where were they located?

The original versions for the installation are currently located in INSTALL DIR\bin and now named libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll

How do you check .dll versions? I've gone through file properties advanced and not getting any version details

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco