Views
Helpful
Replies

HUM device availability issue

mkareemashraf
Level 1
Level 1

hello all,

IN our company we are using CiscoWorks LMS 3.0.1.

we are using HUm 1.0 version.

From last two days we are getting error- device availability threshold violation for all devices.

Error: Router has violated the 0.0 Device Availability threshold

we are getting 100s of mails per hour.

we have not done any changes in hum.

How did it happen and why we are getting these mails with out any problem.

please help me to solve this issue because my mail box is full with these mails.

thanks,

ashraf

12 Replies 12

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How have you configured this threshold?

Error: Router has violated the 0.0 Device Availability threshold

MIB object name: sysUpTime

Instance Name: Device Availability

Number of violatons: 1

Threshold condition: var == 0.0

Violation value: 0.0

Severity: Critical

We are getting hundreds of such emails.

How did it happen and why we are getting these mails with out any problem, as we have verified that the device is operational during this time, even we have other monitoring tools to verify that the devices have not gone down.

Thanks,

Ashraf

we have restarted all services of cisco works ,still the problem persist.

I cannot reproduce, so there does not appear to be a systemic issue. What does the availability portlet show in the HUM portal view?

Thanks for your quick response.

I am attaching the HUM availability portlet.

In the HUM availability portlet GUI it is showing devices unavailability but actually the device is not down and we are not getting mails from DFM or other monitoring tools for these devices. These devices are both on the LAN and WAN (MPLS with low latency), but it occurs more frequently for the WAN.

We have already changed the default SNMP timeout in HUM from 3 seconds to 4 seconds, but still there is no change. The SNMP retry count is still the default.

Some graphical views of devices are not displayed. It is displayed after right clicking and selecting the 'Show Pictures' option in the browser.

Can you please let us know why HUM is showing unavailability in the report, even when the devices are not down?

Regards

Farrukh

According to this, the device is up. The device not always up according to HUM, but it appears to be up now. As for why a device could be down, this would be an issue with HUM polling the sysUpTime from the device.

If you're not seeing other polling issues in DFM, this may be a HUM poller problem specifically. I suggest you open a TAC service request so the upm_process.log can be captured along with a sniffer trace.

sir,

we updated HUM to latest version and still we are facing the same problem.

May be this is because of Less RAM on server. our cisoco works server is having 3 GB RAM which is less the the recomended RAM for HUM.

Your support is highly appreciated.

thanks

ashraf

You should definitely get enough RAM in the system to meet minimum requirements. After that, I recommend you open a TAC service request, so more live troubleshooting can be done.

Thanks for your support.

We have purchased ciscoworks lms3.0.1 monitoring tool for 100 devices.

we want to known whether this tool have tac , smart net or any other support included.

how we can find it?

please help us.

thanks

regards,

ashraf

I really can't answer this. Strictly speaking, TAC support comes as part of a Software and Support (SAS) contract. However, different theaters have different rules when it comes to TAC support, working with partners, etc. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

It would probably be best to ask this of the people from whom you bought LMS and HUM. If that's Cisco, then you should be able to call the TAC within a warranty time period or with an SAS contract.

Thanks for your support. your solution was very helpful.

After upgrading RAM ,we were not getting errors frequently from all devices.

But if the Devices is down we are again getting errors for very 1 minute from HUM.

we have configured poller for 5 minutes and every minute we are receiving errors from HUM.

routerXXX has violated the 0.0 Device Availability threshold

Details:

MIB object name: sysUpTime

Instance Name: Device Availability

Number of violatons: 1

Threshold condition: var == 0.0

Violation value: 0.0

Severity: Critical

Date and Time: Apr 29, 2009 9:35:38 AM

we will be glad,if you can help us to solve this problem.

Now that you have the correct amount of RAM, I suggest you do as I had said previously, and contact TAC so live troubleshooting can be done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: