no. of clients

Unanswered Question
Mar 23rd, 2009
User Badges:

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new wlan solution with wlc 4402 and ap1242. I want to know how many clients can an this ap support and what is the most plauslible no. of client per ap.

Thanks.

Rose

Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/23/2009 - 22:55
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Mabuhay Kabayan!

Cisco recommends between 12-24. By default, the WLC has a limit of 12. You can change this by doing the following:

Go to Wireless -> 802.11a/n -> General -> and under "Clients (1 to 75)", you can increase the number. Do the same to 802.11b/g/n.

Please note that the number of clients that are saturating one particular AP, the slower the throughput. And try to avoid designing/deploying only one AP in a high-density environment and consider disaster recovery.

Before you even consider purchasing the quantity and the model, please have thought about conducting a Wireless LAN Site Survey.

Cisco Aironet Access Point FAQ

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_qanda_item09186a008009483e.shtml

Hope this helps.

rc.castillo Mon, 03/23/2009 - 23:11
User Badges:

Hi,

Is it true that a 1242 ap can accomodate up 250 users? When you say wlc has a limit of 12, does it pertain to 12 AP's?

Thanks

Leo Laohoo Mon, 03/23/2009 - 23:20
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Hi Rose,

I have not yet seen someone who's gone above 50 users/AP. The largest I've seen is >5,300 users using 135 APs in a convention centre.

Lucien Avramov Mon, 09/14/2009 - 20:07
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

The hardcoded max value is 255.

Pasting from another post where I explained this:

The theoretical maximum is 2048. As part of 802.11, however, some number of

these 2k addresses are reserved bringing the IEEE maximum down to 2007.

Although the AP motherboard has memory capable of handling 2007 users, the

radio utilized in our 1200 Series AP has memory limitations which hold the maximum number of client associations to 255.

The number of 255 is active associations, though the cam table can

contain 2048 entries because of the memory size, the number restricted

for actual active association is 255.This number is still far too large for sensible

networking but what is possible. Remember that WLAN is shared media, all users have to try

to get access to the media by waiting until it is free and then sending a request to

reserve the media for the duration of the frame size that they want to

send. If the air is busy then you have to wait a random time and start

again. So if you have too many users waiting they can end up waiting a

very long time - sort of traffic jam effect at a congested junction, one

more car and the traffic seems n times worse.I dont know as to how the number 255 was

arrived at but it is largely irrelevant as 255 is still too large to be practical for

active associations, we recommend 25-30 for most design work.

jcosgrove Mon, 09/14/2009 - 08:22
User Badges:

For the client limit setting it shows this is the setting for traps. Is this just setting the threashold to alert you that greater then X clients have associated? This does not appear to be a hard MAX setting. Am I wrong?

Leo Laohoo Mon, 09/14/2009 - 15:03
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

The setting can be changed. Maximum limit on the WLC is 75.

Vinay Saini Sat, 09/19/2009 - 22:20
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

There is not way to limit the clients per SSID or AP , other than Load Balancing,where the Algo tries to limit the number of clients per AP per radio.

The settings which you guys are talking is only for Traps generation.

you can use the WCS planning mode , set the expected client performance parameters to get the exact number of AP required and their placement

Actions

This Discussion