Telephone line extender

Unanswered Question
Mar 24th, 2009
User Badges:

We have a client who is currently running a 20+ y/o PBX system that we're eventually replacing with an IP Tel solution. My main issue is with 2 remote sites that are 2-3km away from where the VG224 is located.

The said sites are connected to the main office using multi-pair copper lines. The current PBX is being used to supply one analog phone for each site. But as we intend to replace that PBX with the VG224, a hurdle came up... looking at the specs of the VG224, it says that the maximum distance for the analog phone should only be 300ft.

Is there a way to extend this analog line?

Using fiber or data extenders is out of the question. For them to adhere to company standards, no data connection should go to these remote sites, only a single analog phone is allowed. In other words, the data demarcation should reside within the premises of the main office (I CAN'T extend an ethernet line and put a VG204 for each site). Also, the solution should make use of the existing multi-pair copper that's burried. Laying down new sets of cables is probably overkill to supply one phone line per remote site.

So far, my search have brought me to this gadget: Loop Current Booster (http://www.sandman.com/longloop.html) I'm not much a telco guy so can anyone tell me if this will work?

Thanks!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Nicholas Matthews Tue, 03/24/2009 - 04:26
User Badges:
  • Red, 2250 points or more

I'll let you know this - the VG224 is intended for internal building use only. I've seen problems with frying ports on these boxes when you start putting fuses, current amplifiers, etc on it.

-nick

safety2008 Tue, 03/24/2009 - 07:15
User Badges:

maybe easier to order 2 pots lines from telco and terminate on the pbx side and have ip side speed dial an extension to outpulse the pot #.

michaelgcook Tue, 03/24/2009 - 14:16
User Badges:

OJ -

I have a port off of one of my 224's running at 7500 feet - No problem.

Go for it!

Mike

michaelgcook Tue, 03/24/2009 - 14:21
User Badges:

OJ -

Keep Nicks post in mind and make sure the cable is protected. I assumed it was when I first wrote, but you absolutely want to protect the VG from any possible incoming voltage. A cable of that length should have BEP (building entrance protection) on it anyway.

Good Luck,

Mike

oj88 Tue, 03/24/2009 - 20:01
User Badges:

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I know that we're probably pushing the 224 to the limit on this one. I failed to mention that these sites are in a mountainous rural area where telco access does not (yet) exist. That's primarily the reason for extending the PBX locals so the two sites will have voice access to the outside, among other things.

I will certainly try Mike and Nick's suggestions. I just hope that the 20 y/o copper lines hold up to their original wire resistance.

Anyway, I'm still open to ideas as the project is still due to start in May.

Thanks!

Actions

This Discussion