cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping ap-manager interface (management works, same subnet)

shahedvoicerite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have configured a NM-WLC on a 2800 series router.

I have assigned ip addresses for the management and ap-manager interfaces on the same subnet.

When I log into the WLC, I can ping the management interface as well as access it via a web interface.

However, I am not able to ping the ap-manager interface, even from within the WLC CLI.

According to this link, I should be able to ping the ap-manager interface, although docs for other controller models, say that the ap-manager does not reply to ICMP messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/12_4x/12_4xa/boxernm.html#wp2022959

The configuration for both the interfaces is identical apart from the IP address.

ANy idea what may be wrong ?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

I have checked and I am unable to ping the ap-manager interface - I believe this is normal.

Can you see the address in your arp cache of the device connecting the device to the network?

Mark is correct, you cannot ping the AP Manager interface. It is intentionally designed by Cisco to not respond, and to my knowledge there's no way to enable ping responses.

So no need to worry :D

Thanks to you both !

Yes, I do see it in the ARP cache.

Wonder why the link I posted earlier seems to imply that the AP-manager is pingable ??

Perhaps it depends on the WLC o/s version.

I am on 5.0.x

Thanks.

Even in the early 4.x days, the only ping-able interface belongs to the Management Interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: