cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to a 1130 AG Access Point

jmacavali
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to login and configure my new 1130AG AP, but I can't login using the web browser. We have about 6 or 7 of these already in place and I can login to them without problems using the IP address and web browser. I plug the new one in and it gets an IP from my DHCP server, but when I try to connect using my web browser it says that it can''t find the host. I have also tried to telnet to it, but it gives the same message. I can ping to it. I have only configured one of our 6 or 7 that we already have, but I didn't think it gave me any trouble. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my friend Jeff (+5 points for your good work Jeff!). It sounds like the AP that you are using may be a LWAPP (Lightweight) AP. This would be designated by the part# LAP1130 instead of AP1130 on the box (hopefully:) This is why you can't configure it via the web. This can be converted using the following method;

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

Have these been configured in the past? It's possible that an old configuration already exists on them. If they're brand new from Cisco, that shouldn't be a problem.

What happens when you console into an AP? Can you get on? Is there any way for you to retrieve the current configuration and post it?

Try connecting via SSH and HTTPS rather than Telnet or HTTP. If all else fails, reset the AP to default config by powering it down, holding the MODE button down, and powering it back on. Hold the MODE button for 30 seconds or so until the LED turns red, then release. It will reboot to factory defaults, and then you should be able to console/Telnet with ease.

There is only one I'm working on and it is brand new, right out of the box. I don't have the console cable so I can't console into it. I know that I configured the last one I did without the console cable. Can't connect to the AP, so I can't get the configs. Tried SSH and HTTPS without success. Reset it (even though it should already be a factory configs) and still no go. Can't telnet or use my browser to connect to it. Can still ping it.

The AP's LED on the case is blinking in a pattern of green-red-amber over and over. When I open the case, the two LED's inside are blinking as well. The 'E' led is blinking green and the 'R' led is blinking amber. I don't know if that matters or if that is how it is supposed to be. I don't remember that from the other one I setup.

After a bit of research I found that the green-red-amber pattern means it is trying to connect to a controller. It said to make sure that a DHCP server is available - and it is. I plugged a computer into the same port with the same cable and I was able to get an IP address and connect to the network/internet. Also the AP is getting an IP and I am able to ping that IP, just not telnet/browser connect to it.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Joe,

Just to add a note to the great tips from my friend Jeff (+5 points for your good work Jeff!). It sounds like the AP that you are using may be a LWAPP (Lightweight) AP. This would be designated by the part# LAP1130 instead of AP1130 on the box (hopefully:) This is why you can't configure it via the web. This can be converted using the following method;

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Note This section does not apply to Cisco C3201WMIC and Cisco C3201LAP.

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

That sounds wonderful. That is the case (LightWeight).

Only question: Do you know where I can find the access point image file for an 1130?

Hey Joe,

Good stuff!

Via:

Support> Tools & Resources> Download Software> Wireless> Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Access Point> IOS Software

**this link may appear broken but you should be able to paste it into your browser search**

http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/PlatformList.x?sftType=IOS+Software&mdfid=279537722&treeName=Wireless&mdfLevel=Model&url=null&modelName=Cisco+Aironet+1130+AG+Access+Point&isPlatform=N&treeMdfId=278875243&modifmdfid=null&imname=&hybrid=Y&i...

Hope this helps!

Rob

Ok got it. Then copy the zip file that I downloaded into the root folder of the TFTP server or do I need to unzip it?

I'll keep trying and see what happens here and let you know but if you've got the process mastered, any tips would be appreciated and helpful!

Thanks for the info so far!

Hey Rob,

Good stuff indeed! I fixed the issue in 10 minutes using your directions and had been working for 3 hours before that! Thank you for all your help!!!!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nice work Joe! Glad to be of some small help here.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: