Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE Best Practices

p.maciasc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

What is the recommendation or best practice for the Admin context? For example, is recommend use it only for FT configuration?

In the same context, the ACE module can work in bridge mode and routing mode? (Obviously with different vlans)

About redundancy, what configuration is made in the standby module? I suppose that the only configuration needed is the standby context and the FT related configuration (FT track, FT peer, FT group and FT interface).

What is the resource limits recommendation for the standby context in FT?

During the configuration of ACE in routing mode, there is any interruption in the network? Is necessary having a maintance window?

Thanks and Regards,

PM

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I would rather move the servers to the new vlan. Server's default gateway will remain the same.

Since you are bridging two vlans, both vlans will use the same address space. In order to reach default gateway (SVI) Servers will have to pass through the ACE.

Syed

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Since all the other contexts are accessible from Admin context. It is wise to use it for only Admin purposes (as long as you need less than 5 contexts :).

Yes you can have both routed mode & Bridge mode configured in same context.

Only FT related config is needed on Stdby. Stdby will copy all config from the Primary ACE, once FT is configured.

Don forget to create & Assign Vlans from both switches to primary & Secondary vlans.

You dont configure different resource limits on Standby. It will get the same config that was configured on Primary and hence the same resource limit.

It depends.

If ACE is in the traffic path and you

are changing Interface IP address on ACE then it will.

Syed

Hi Syed

I take advantage of your knowledge :)

In the begging the clients, servers and the default gateway are in a vlan (suppose vlan 10). The default gateway is a SVI in the c6500.

When I configure the ACE module in bridge mode, I create a new vlan in Layer 2 (again suppose vlan 20). And move the clients to a new vlan (vlan 20) and leave the servers in the old vlan (vlan 10) and configure the ACE for bridge these two vlans.

But the default gateway still is the SVI in the c6500 in the vlan 10.

How the clients keep in contact with their default gateway?

The IP address configured in the ACE's BVI interface is the new default gateway of the clients? Or the ACE's VIP?

Again Thanks

PM

I would rather move the servers to the new vlan. Server's default gateway will remain the same.

Since you are bridging two vlans, both vlans will use the same address space. In order to reach default gateway (SVI) Servers will have to pass through the ACE.

Syed

Then, there's no change of any type, in the IP configuration in the servers and the clients.

Thanks Syed for your help and patience

Regards,

PM

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: