Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2851 Uploading files to flash SLOW

upgrading a 2851 and adding Callmanager Express files to a brand new 2851. I've tried various connections between the router and my laptop (Gig NIC) to transfer files via TFTP and it is unbelievably slow. I've tried different TFTP servers, directly connecting to the router (crossover) ... all to no avail. Am I missing something? Why is it transferring so slow? I have no problems whatsoever with all other connections from my laptop. Help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Try upgrading the Bootstrap and compare the result.

View solution in original post

See attachment.

[edit]

Thank you for the rating, but don't deserve it, since updating the bootstrap was Leo's suggestion.

[edit2]

BTW, I believe I recall on other 2800s, a bootstrap update, to take, will immediately reload the box. Also, procedure/command is different vs. normal IOS.

NB: Don't be surprised if the doesn't fix your issue since flash RAM/ROM isn't usually considered DRAM. But let us know whether it makes a difference or not.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Yudong Wu
Level 7
Level 7

What existing code is?

It might be a bug.

Can you try FTP to see if it is different?

It was slow with the shipping version ... don't recall what that was. Then I upgraded to 12.4.22T ... and it's just as slow.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at your processor and see if the CPU level has gone up (sh processor cpu history).

Yep ... pegging at 100% What can I do?

99999 999999999999999 9999999999999999999 9999999

100 *###* *#######*#####* *#######*#####**##* *#*##**

90 *###* *#############* *#############**##* *#*##**

80 *###* *#############* *#############**##* *#*##**

70 *###* ##############* *#################* *####*#

60 *###* ##############* *#################* *####*#

50 ##### ##############* *################## *######

40 ##### ##############* *################## *######

30 ##### ##############* ################### #######

20 ##### ############### ################### #######

10 ##### ############### ################### #######

0 5 0 5 0 5 0 5 0 5 0

CPU% per minute (last 60 minutes)

* = maximum CPU% # = average CPU%

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The issue you might be bumping into is, not all flash hardware supports fast recording. For example, copy an IOS image within the same device (i.e. not to/from external device) and it likely will perform just about the same.

On the issue of high CPU, that's not unusual. Cisco appears to invest their IOS development efforts in supporting the device's primary purpose, processing transit traffic. Things like upgrading a flash, as quickly as possible, likely isn't high on their priority list.

PS:

Another common reason for slow flash upgrades, if you use TFTP with high latency, it runs slow (which doesn't seem to be an issue in your case). FTP or RCP will copy much faster if latency is an issue.

When I initially went to upgrade the IOS from the shipped version to a newer version it was VERY slow, and finally bombed. When I rebooted it went into ROMMON mode and I used TFTPDNLD and it went FAST. After the router rebooted I resumed with copying CME files up to the router, but it went back to being reallly slow. I doubt it's a latency issue as this is a new isolated "lab" setup; the only two enpoints are the router and my laptop.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In light of Joseph's comment, what is the version of the Bootstrap?

C2800NM_RM2.srec.124-13r.T6 is a bootstrap for "DRAM access optimization".

Bootstrap is 12.4(13r)T

Try upgrading the Bootstrap and compare the result.

Where do you download the Bootstrap software from? I couldn't find it in the downloads section....

See attachment.

[edit]

Thank you for the rating, but don't deserve it, since updating the bootstrap was Leo's suggestion.

[edit2]

BTW, I believe I recall on other 2800s, a bootstrap update, to take, will immediately reload the box. Also, procedure/command is different vs. normal IOS.

NB: Don't be surprised if the doesn't fix your issue since flash RAM/ROM isn't usually considered DRAM. But let us know whether it makes a difference or not.

Of Course - fair enough, thanks Leo!

Ok ... next question. How do I upgrade a Bootstrap image. I can't find the doc on CCO on how to do this....

It's on download page.

To download the Cisco 2801 ROMMON Upgrade to your router, use the following IOS EXEC-mode command:

upgrade rom-monitor file tftp://path/filename

For example,

Router>enable

Password:

Router#upgrade rom-monitor file tftp://10.1.2.3/rommon/C2801_RM2.srec.123-8r.T9

Loading ...

Thanks guys that did it. Unfortunately the new ROMMON upgrade didn't speed up file transfers to the box. I'm going to try a few more things.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: