Replies

Remote ASA cannot use TACACS authentication

yves.haemmerli
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the following setup :

TACACS --- LAN --- ASA1 ==== IPSec === ASA2 --- SW1

In my configuration, I can manage the remote ASA (ASA2) on its inside interface, through the IPSec tunnel with SSH. For that, I entered the command "management-access inside". Everything works properly, the remote LAN stations can communicate with the central site through the VPN tunnel.

The problem I have is that when I use TACACS to authenticate an incoming SSH console access through the IPSec tunnel, the ASA2 device generates an authentication request for the tacacs server, but don't find the next-hop towards the TACACS server in the central site (a message is logged).

The strange thing is that when accessing the switch SW1 via SSH, TACACS authentication works well. So, the TACACS packets go through ASA2 and then through the IPSec tunnel. Only ASA2 self-generated TACACS packets don't !

Thank you for any tips

Yves

1 Reply 1

amritpatek
Level 6
Level 6

Follow the URL for the TACACS+ Authentication Configuration guide for ASA. It may help you

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a008046f307.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: