Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC4402 Console Cable

tapanglf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We have one customer who have deployed a unified wireless solution using WLC4402. They implemented high security that they have disabled telnet, http & https connectivity to the WLC. Now, configuration changes needs to be done on the WLC but unfortunately they have lost the provided console cable. Is there other ways to connect to the WLC?

If the console is a must, would someone know the console cable pin-outs for the WLC?

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How about SSH? It's on by default.

I hope someone has enabled the Service Port.

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You're in luck, the console cable is a simple 9-pin serial cable that any IT department likely has about 50 of just sitting around.

Was SSH disabled? Maybe try that before searching for a serial cable.

The service port won't work if there are no access methods available.

tapanglf
Level 1
Level 1

appreciate the quick response guys. tnx.

found some of serial cables but no luck.

used ssh using securecrt but is not working.

service port? whats the procedure to connect to it?

and also i have observed that directly connected device sees the WLC via cdp but could not ping it. would someone know why?

anymore suggestions?

Yes. NEXT TIME, make sure you design something, consider a "backdoor".

Haha, well, that's no doubt the lesson that will come from this.

The serial cables didn't work? I really question whether this device is working. Did you lock the console too? If not, that should work fine. Make sure your settings are correct - 9600 baud, etc...

The service port won't work with HTTP and HTTPS disabled.

Finally, you won't be able to ping the WLC's AP Manager interface, but that's not usually the interface that shows up in CDP. Maybe it's possible that the WLC is bad? Does the wireless still work? As best you can tell, are the APs still associated to the controller?

Next step is to open a Cisco TAC case and ask them if it's possible to reset to factory defaults some other way...

I used a standard cisco serial cable and plug the RJ45 connector into a cisco rj-45 to DB9 connector. This works as I am using it for a 4404 that did not ship with a console cable.

Hi Seth,

This is the wierd part. Everyone knows what the "standard" Cisco console cable looks like. Unfortunately, the WLC 2000/2100 and 4400 have DB9-DB9 serial cable. Now the WiSM, which is actually two (2) WLC4400-150 in a blade, will take the "standard" Cisco console cable.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The only way, unfortunately, is to purchase another cable from Cisco (or make another one) ... and charge it to the business unit who made the security too tight.

I think you might have missed what I was getting at. Everyone seems to have more standard console cables then they could ever use. All you need to do is use one of those with a Cisco 74-0495-01 RJ-45 to DB9 male connector. That will then allow you to connect to the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card