cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity digital networking

kennychit
Level 1
Level 1

"The key to Digital Networking is that all of the Cisco Unity servers access a common directory. To use Digital Networking, the Cisco Unity servers must be in the same Active Directory forest." - Networking Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x (With Microsoft Exchange)

I want to setup a digital networking with the exististing setup. Currently, I have a lab system that run AD/DC/EXCH1/Unity1, how do I add another unity system to the existing setup to archieve digital networking? should I join the new server (will be hosting exch2/unity2) as a "member server" or as "an additional domain" or does it matter at all?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kenny,

Shouldn't matter, just a little bit different installation process.

If you join the second Unity server to the domain as a member server, you will need to join the existing Exchange organization when installing Exchange since an Organization exists already.

If you add it as a new domain, you'll need to create a new Exchange Organization and make sure that you have a DC/GC in place for that domain (can be the Unity server providing you're meet the system requirements)

Hope that helps,

Brad

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kenny,

Shouldn't matter, just a little bit different installation process.

If you join the second Unity server to the domain as a member server, you will need to join the existing Exchange organization when installing Exchange since an Organization exists already.

If you add it as a new domain, you'll need to create a new Exchange Organization and make sure that you have a DC/GC in place for that domain (can be the Unity server providing you're meet the system requirements)

Hope that helps,

Brad

thanks Brad, that what i had in mine but I wanted to get a confirmation from someone beside myself. So I went ahead and add another server in as an "additional domain control" that served dc/gc/exch2/unity2, but i can't get digital network to work - I can't not send message from unity1 to subscriber locate on unity2 and blind addressing doesn't work either. I;ve set the addressing option on both server to do global directory.

Make sure that you've configured the Primary Location on each Unity server and assigned them both to the same dialing domain. I highly recommend that when you give the dialing domain a name on the first Unity server, you wait for that information to synch with AD, then select the dialing domain from the drop down on the second Unity server once it becomes available. We've seen issues if you type the dialing domain in on both servers rather than waiting for it to replicate. If it never shows up, then you know you've got a replication issue at hand.

Brad

i've check the database for global subscriber table, seem to me that the database is not replicating correctly between the two system, it showing the other subscriber's information correctly except in extension field, it's displaying a NULL key intead of ext#. could this be a cause? if so, how do I go about fixing it?

btw, I did try the dial domain setup, but still doesn't work.

Thanks you for your help, I really appreciate it

You'll want to make sure that in the GlobalLocations table you're seeing both servers listed. Providing Permissions Wizard was run successfully for your UnityDirSvc account and that you added the second Unity server into the existing forest, and didn't create a new one, everything should work just fine.

Brad

-both server is in the same AD forest

-Exchange both are in the same the First Org (only one org supported per forest)

-global location listed both server on unitydb.

-global subscriber listed both infos on unitydb.

-global catalog enable on both server

-address option ticked to global directory

- both unity is on versioin 7.02

- read through chapter 12. (several time) from Unity Deployment Guide Books

I still can't get it to send msg between two server - got prompted that subscriber ext is not available, everytime I try to send it to other server. when i do a subscriber search (with option to includes all unity server) only the local subscriber show up. I think i am going bald :) from pulling my hair

Hi -

In the Dialing Domain - Profile section of the Unity SA for each server, does it show the extension of the other Unity server? Each Unity server needs to know the dialing string of the other server. Also, on the Primary Location - Addressing Options - make sure you have "Include locations in searches" checked.

Ginger

thanks everyone, I've reinstalled everything - it is working now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: