Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Latency

sonisnr01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently deploy Cisco 3750 series switches and our clients are constantly requesting latency information on these.

Can you please advise what the latency across the box is at different frame sizes. For example:

64 byte packet

256 byte packet

1512 byte packet

9216 byte packet

Many Thanks,

Sunny

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Q. What is the latency on Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches?

A. Latency ranges from 7 us to 26 us depending on the frame sizes.

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_qas09186a00801b0971.html

Hi,

Thanks. I have been qouting these figures, however I need latency figures for specific frame sizes, ie:

64 byte packet

256 byte packet

1512 byte packet

9216 byte packet

Thanks,

Sunny

I haven't seen anything with that level of detail. If no one else responds, you might try TAC. Otherwise, assuming the information we do have is for minimum and maximum frame sizes (i.e. 94 and 9216), you could interpolate for 256 and 1512.

PS:

I'm curious why your clients need this level of detail. With modern switches, for most things, other latency factors would be much more significant, e.g. transient congestion.

If 7 to 26 us, alone is an issue, then you may need "low latency" switches, such as Cisco's InfiniBand Switches. Even for those, I didn't notice a specification for multiple frame sizes.

Thanks Joseph.

Recently customers are getting latency sensitive due to the applications they are using. Selling Ethernet services over an Ethernet backbone is relatively easy, but customer are now requesting figures. The latency does not just end with the boxes, but we also take into account the distance from client site to client site. Providing and end-to-end latency calculation.

To accurately provide figures, I need to know exact numbers, rather than adding 26us. These client applications are now measuring latency in Microseconds, so we need to be accurate.

Thanks again.

Sunny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card