cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Divide peer2peer network into 2 isolated workgroups?

gcapp99
Level 1
Level 1

I need to divide an existing 10 station peer-to-peer network into 2 seperate workgroups while retaining access to shared network resources, ie printers & NAS. The newly created workgroups must not be able to "see" the other workgroup, but both workgroups must be able to access existing shared printers and network attached storage devices. The shared network resources currently have static IP addresses; all stations running XP Pro.

Can a managed switch accomplish this for me? If so, which products should I be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A layer 3 switch could do it, but it may be cheaper to do it in a normal router.

You can set up routing-on-a-stick in an 800/1800 series router. The 800 series may be all that you need, otherwise, I think you'll be looking for a 3000 series switch.

You'll need to be able to create ACLs to restrict traffic between subnets in order to allow access to the NAS and printers, but still restrict access to other users.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card