Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP

i.ennassiri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How can I make load sharing via 2 routers with GLBP.

I configured GLBP in 2 routers, but they function in redundancy (Active/Standbay), not in load sharing( I mean Active/Active).

thnx

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have a look at this link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6554/ps6600/product_data_sheet0900aecd803a546c.html

If it is still not working after you have configured a load-balancing option then please come back with configs.

Jon

thanks for your response.

let me explain the architecture that I want to implement.

My Lan is behind a PIX, I have 2 routers connected to 2 ISPs.

I configured GLBP in routers (I tried Round robin and weighted), and I added a default route in the PIX to the GLBP address.

I issue a tracert from many hosts in the LAN to Internet, the result is the same from all hosts.

Ah well then it won't load-balance. The issue you have is that the routers always see the same mac-address which is the mac-address of your firewall. So this mac-address will always be sent to the same router.

The mac-addresses of the hosts in the LAN are irrelevant because the routers only see the firewall mac-address.

Jon

is there any other solution?

The pix is not really designed to do load-balancing between 2 ISP's.

You can either

1) use a router on which you could implement PBR or have 2 default static routes

OR

2) if you want to use the pix then look into using OSPF between the pix and the 2 routers.

Jon

If I use 2 static routes in the PIX with the same metric, How it will manage the traffic?

The pix is not designed to handle 2 default routes with the same metric and load balance between the two. For that you need a router.

Like i say OSPF may be the only solution for you.

Jon

thanks for your assistance.

I will try to do it via OSPF, and I'll keep you in touch.

No problem, let me know how you get on.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco