cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"splitting" a leased line

huwyhuwy123
Level 1
Level 1

Our company is looking at renting out part of an office. They current have a 2MB leased line and would like to allocate 1MB to the renters. I was just wondering if it's possible to allocate bandwidth to a subnet?

I'm afraid I don't even know the model of the cisco router yet - I just wanted to see if this can be done at all.

Thanks in advance,

Huw

4 Replies 4

Huw,

It can be done by using QOS methods.

Outgoing can be guaranteed with QOS. I will not expect to guarantee bandwidth of incoming traffic because you are using the same line.

HTH,

Toshi

Thanks.

So just to clarify we could use QoS to assign 1MB to 192.168.1.0/24 and 1MB to 192.168.2.0/24?

-H

Huw,

What I'm concerned about is as follows:

- Can I police traffic of those 2 networks? It will not allow you to use more than 1MB per network. Then, Police is fair enough.

- Are you willing to frankly share bandwidth for those 2 networks? In case there is no congestion ,2 networks can use bandwidth as they want. If congestion occurred then CBWFQ can guarantee that if each network wants more than 1MB. They will be guaranteed at 1MB each network. It's not exactly strict. If congested , Net-A uses only 0.8 MB, Net-B will take the rest 1.2 MB. It's not fair if I pay for (grin).

Note: I'm talking about outgoing traffic!

Let's understand what QOS does for us

http://www.cisco.com/web/psa/technologies/tsd_technology_support_design.html?c=268435881

HTH,

Toshi

please could u please send the link for the QOS method

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card