Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP and Dynamic Routing

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I request you to provide me the clarity on Routers configured HSRP and Branch offices route packets to these Routers to access Internet.

I have attached a diagram for your reference.

The question is, even though i have configured standby ip address as 192.168.1.1 (VIP), the Branch routers routing table shows 192.168.1.2 (Router-1 Interface IP) / 192.168.1.3 (Router-2 Interface IP). I am running OSPF in the network as area 0.

In Routing table i am not seeing the VIP configured. I am seeing Interface ip address of Routers.

I am sure, the configuration is perfect as the failover happens very well when i tested from a PC.

Whether this is the behaviour of Dynamic Protocols like OSPF with HSRP

Kindly looking for your guidance

R.B.Kumar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RB:

Do you know what HSRP is for?

Deploying it has nothing to do with whether you are running a dynamic routing protocol or not.

You can be running HSRP between two routers that have eigrp, ospf, rip, or just staic routes configured on them.

The HSRP active router forwards the traffic on behalf of the vlan. Where the router gets its forwarding information (next hop, exit interface) will be derived from the routing protocol or just static routes.

Does this clear things up for you?

Victor

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Maybe it's just me, but I have no idea what you're talking about. :-)

What is the question?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RB

HSRP is for end devices such as servers/hosts. Routers do not use the VIP in their routing tables unless you configure static routes using the VIP as the next hop.

So OSPF will use the physical interface addresses in the routing table. All IGP will do this.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps there's some confusion between dynamic routing (OSPF) and HSRP. HSRP provides a virtual gateway for hosts. Routers using a dynamic routing protocol shouldn't need (or directly use) HSRP addresses.

Something like a default route, to the internet, can be injected by an OSPF router.

Hi,

Jon told you the truth!

Just do a "sh ip os int brief" command. And tell me what ip address is!

HTH,

Toshi

Hi,

As Jon mentioned i understood that HSRP is not for end host which does not support dynamic routing like OSPF / EIGRP.

Is this correct?

R.B.Kumar

RB:

Do you know what HSRP is for?

Deploying it has nothing to do with whether you are running a dynamic routing protocol or not.

You can be running HSRP between two routers that have eigrp, ospf, rip, or just staic routes configured on them.

The HSRP active router forwards the traffic on behalf of the vlan. Where the router gets its forwarding information (next hop, exit interface) will be derived from the routing protocol or just static routes.

Does this clear things up for you?

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card