Views
Helpful
Replies

Hardware Conferencing CM 6.1.2

jeremy.andreani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to implement hardware conferencing in an environment that uses multiple codecs. My understanding is that a CM software conferencing bridge only supports G711 codec and puts overhead on the server, so I am looking to use a hardware conferencing bridge i.e. a DSP resource on a 3845 router. I need to be able to support 1 conference of up to 16 participants. I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you point me to a pre-existing example configuration or instructions for configuration?

2. Is SCCP required for the hardware conferencing bridge to work?

3. Can hardware conferencing support 16 participants? I have read on this forum that the maximum is 8 but have also read a document stating the maximum is 16.

Thanks,

Jeremy

7 Replies 7

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jeremy,

Here is a working configuration of CFB...

voice-card 0

no dspfarm

dsp services dspfarm

!

sccp local GigabitEthernet0/0

sccp ccm 10.x.y.1 identifier 2

sccp ccm 10.x.y.2 identifier 3

sccp ccm 10.a.b.10 identifier 1

sccp

!

sccp ccm group 1

bind interface GigabitEthernet0/0

associate ccm 1 priority 1

associate ccm 2 priority 2

associate ccm 3 priority 3

associate profile 1 register CFB1_LON

!

dspfarm profile 1 conference

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

codec g729br8

maximum sessions 16

associate application SCCP

You can use this link for configuration uide. Its excellent

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00807f8b30.shtml

2. Yes SCCP is required

3. I believe the maximum participant per session is 8 for the new DSPS (PVDM2-)

It may have changed. You can send a link to the document and I will have a look for you.

HTH

Please rate all useful posts

Hi Deji,

Thanks a lot for this. I found another document today that seemed to indicate a maximum of 32 participants is possible provided 12.4(15)T IOS is running, at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/media.html#wp1046210

"Starting with Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T, this limit on the maximum number of participants has been increased to 32."

Thanks,

Jeremy

according to the documentation that's only for meet-me

maximum conference-party

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/command/reference/vr_m1.html#wp1404791

and it's still completely dependant on the codecs you configure, only g711/g729

it still can take a little overhead from the server if you're going to use only those codecs.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This may still work then, as meet-me is what I am after (as opposed to adhoc), and my phones will be using g711/g729 codecs.

So could I configure the following:

dspfarm profile 1 conference

codec g711ulaw

codec g711alaw

codec g729ar8

codec g729abr8

codec g729r8

codec g729br8

maximum sessions 1

maximum conference-party 16

associate application SCCP

and expect 1 DSP resource at most to be used for conferencing?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

A DSP farm that is configured for conferencing and G.711 provides 8 conferences. When configured to accept both G.711 and G.729 calls, a single DSP provides 2 conferences because it is also reserving its resources for performing transcoding of streams.

So with G.711/G.729 each DSP will provide 2 conferences with each conference session supoorting 8 0r 32 participants depending on your IOS.

Assuming your IOS supports 8 participants, then with a single dsp..you will have 2*8= 16 streams. So yes your config will be fine.

Please rate all useful posts

sipr_ttgp
Level 1
Level 1

There are two types of hardware conferencing Ad-Hoc and Meet-Me conferencing. With Adhoc conferencing you are right max is 8 participants (codec supported are g.711/g.729a/g.729). But if you use Meetme conferencing with multiple codec your max is 1 conference with 16 participants per DSP. You can add more PVDM2-64 (your model supports 4 DSP slots) and that will give you a second Meet-me conference with 16 participants but unfortunately you can not mixed or combine 2 dsp's for one conference. If you use pure g.711 codec you'll get the max 64 participants per DSP.

Reference: CME4.1 Hardware Conferencing Tech Tips (May 15, 2007) by Tony Huynh

I know reference is for CME 4.1 and 2 years old but I use it to configure my CME 7.1. good luck I hope that answers your question.

Hi,

Thank you very much; I believe I now have enough information to proceed.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: