cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding second Supervisor 720 in native mode

clayhawks
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning on inserting a second Sup720 in my 6506 running in native mode. Has anyone had experience doing this and can you tell me if you have experienced any interruption in service?

Here is how I have redundancy configured:

redundancy

mode sso

main-cpu

auto-sync running-config

The IOS version is:

s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-18.SXF8

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Clay,

You shouldn't have any service interruption installing a redundant supervisor. I would still perform this in a maintenance window just in case. Just ensure the secondary supervisor is running the same IOS version & feature set. When it does boot up it will synchronize with the primary and pull the config. This is a relatively simple process.

HTH,

Mark

Thanks. I figured as much. Getting the correct IOS to boot should should be as easy as ejecting the compact flash card from the existing line card, popping it into the new one and inserting the module. Once the module is fully on-line, move the compact flash card back to the original sup, insert the new compact flash card into the new sup and copy the IOS image to the new card.

That sound about right?

Yes, that is a good way in doing it.

Mark

Clay,

I'm looking at doing this very soon and wanted to know how this worked out for you.

It woked quite well indeed. There is no auto-sync of IOS versions, so if you install the new SUP with a different version of IOS don't worry too much if the sh mod command looks funny. Simply copy the desired IOS ver to the new SUP and do a hardware reset on it. Should come up in full redundancy mode.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am taking over this post, because I am planning to add a second supervisor to my main 6506 switch.

Now I have 2 boxes with one SUP720 each and I want to put one of the SUPs in the other box, so removing the backup chassis.

How is best to approach the change? Do you think best to remove the config/ clean up completely the SUP before plugging in into the other box?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco