Helpful
Replies

Route tracking using IP SLA objects

t4tauseef33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have few questions.

1) if i am sending 5 packets after every 1 minute, then Is the object failed if even a single packet loss and other 4 replied.

2) After how much time it changes the route after the object actually failed?

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I believe that is what the threshold command is for. It sets the number of failed SLA monitor events that can occur before the alternate route is taken.

Thanks.

if i am sending 10 packets, 9 were successully recieved and 1 failed. so will the track object will fail or no?

Any documentation for this will be a great help.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsthresh.html#wp1027184

See "Configuring Threshold Violation Types for IP SLAs Reactions" section.

Thanks.

This document related to the routers but in my setup i have cisco ASA firewalls and these doesnot have the configuration like one present in the document. Although the document you have supplied is very good but didn't help me out in my scenario. Can you please help me out in respect to firewall.

Hey,

Sorry, I can't help you with ASA's, I have only Check Point experience.

Sorry,

Ryan

Maybe this link will be helpful regarding route tracking on the ASA:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

I havent done this on ASA before, so I'm not sure how the packet loss is handled regarding the frequency/threshold/timeout. I can imagine the tracked object only failing if all the packets go misssing, but you should try it out in a lab to be 100% sure.

Hth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card