I have 2 2008 servers in a network load balancing cluster running in vmware ESX 3.5.0 which is connected to a cisco catalyst 4510.
The cluster is always reachable in the same subnet. To make it reachable from different vlans I added the static arp entry:
arp 172.17.16.90 0100.5e7f.105a ARPA
This works at first, but after an ammount of time the cluster ceases to be reachable from different vlans. I list the arp table on the 4510 and the static entry is there. I add it again and it works again for a while.
We had the same problem which is how I found your post. Some more searching and I came across this article on a technet blog:
Looks like Microsoft is still learning about networking.
I wasn't able to add the static arp entries using the arp command so I had to use netsh.
Here is an example:
Anyway this fixed our issues thus far.