Views
Helpful
Replies

Delay on calls

cris_jimenez
Level 2
Level 2

hello folks

our phones are having a delay. It was taking so long that the transfers were getting disconnected. We will pick up the phone for an incoming call and it takes a while before the other person hears your voice between 4-6 seconds

we have CCM 5.X

a 2851 with MGCP

the show controllers t1 is clean, no slips , no errors

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

does this happen with internal calls? or only PSTN calls?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

both, internal and external

i would suspect of a few things then:

1) delay on routing or on a particular device in the topology (high CPU maybe)

2) a security feature in a device that delays the stream while checking each packet

3) Qos misconfig for RTP

i would start by gathering a CUCM detailed trace and a sniffer trace at the same time on both ends.

look at the moment when the openreceive channelACK is on the trace, you should see the startmediatransmission there. phones at that point are ready to start communication between them.

then check the sniffer to see at what point the RTP is being received.

i don't believe you would see a huge delay in CUCM for the ORC messages or the SMT but it's good to doublecheck

HTH

java

HTH

java

Googi1974
Level 1
Level 1

For what it's worth -- This was one (of many) symptoms we were experiencing when our publisher hard drive was going south and subsequently needed to be replaced. The CPU was spiking (90-100) every 3-4 seconds and freezing the pub. Another related symptom was a delay in connecting to vm ports when checking voicemail.

liamcairns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cris,

We are experiencing a similar problem. The only difference being is that we have 2 BRI lines coming into the 2821 and it happens on every second call. I have checked with BRI supplier and have them run checks and they have come back saying everything is ok.

Did you ever get it sorted?

I'm trying to check the statistics on the call. when the problem happens. I asked the user to press the '?' button twice to check the delay and jitter average. I already check the QoS. I'm monitoring the servers for any high cpu utilization as well. We will have to sniff both ends and check the CCM detailed trace to check if there is any delta in the delay when the call is actually connected and when it starts sending audio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: