cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Neighbor fails due to bad lsa ( loading state)

paolagallegos
Level 1
Level 1

our backbone (6509) is connected to atm backbone (nortel passport) those are connected through gigaethernet interface and running ospf in area 0. One week ago we lost the ip connectivity between those backbones, the interfaces were in up but the neighbor relation fail and it was kept in LAODING STATE, according we the logs the neighbor relation fail becasue a BAD LSA was received (error messages %OSPF-4-ERRRCV:Bad LSU adv and %OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE:Invalid lsa:Bad LSA chksum Type 5 were received during the outage)

We check in cisco and this is quite normal behavior if we receive a bad LSA but the customer is asking why we have the same error message for long time and we didn't lost the neighbor relationship.

Somebody knows how many bad lsa we can receive before to lost the neighbor relationship.. or what kind of bag las can cause this behavior?? We receive two errors messages for bag lsa.. Somebody knows which is the different between those:

--------------------

%OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE: Invalid lsa: Bad LSA chksum Type 5, Length 36, LSID 194.6.12.124 from 10.0.0.100, 10.10.3.1

---------------------------

%OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: Bad LSU adv count from 10.10.3.241, GigabitEthernet1/21

4 Replies 4

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

1. %OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE: Invalid lsa: Bad LSA chksum Type 5, Length 36, LSID 194.6.12.124 from 10.0.0.100, 10.10.3.1

The router received an LSA with invalid data.LSA contains invalid LSA type, wrong checksum or wrong length.The cause is either memory corruption or unexpected behavior on a router

Recommended Action: From a neighboring address, locate the problem router.

1) Collect a running configuration of the router by entering the show running-config command.

2) Enter the show ip ospf database command to gather data that may help identify the nature of the error.

3) Enter the show ip ospf database , with link-state-id being the IP address of the invalid LSA.

4) Enter the show logging command to gather data that may help identify the nature of the error.

5) Reboot the router.

2. %OSPF-4-ERRRCV: Received invalid packet: Bad LSU adv count from 10.10.3.241, GigabitEthernet1/21

An invalid OSPF packet was received. Details are included in the error message. The cause might be a misconfigured OSPF or an internal error in the sender.

Recommended Action: Check the OSPF configuration of the receiver and the sender for inconsistency.

thanks for your reply..

We have the bad lsa error message (%OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE:) for awhile (more than two months) and we didn't lost the neighbor relationship... so the customer is asking why or what cause this... do you know if there are a limit of bad lSA??... how many times the router will try to re-transmit one bad lsa.. why the router didn't reset the neighbor relationship and kept it in loading state until we reset the interface...

there is a configuration that let me reset the interface if I receive a certain number of bad lsa???

I hope you can help with those question and sorry if I disturb you too much.

thanks..

hi guest,

any update for this issue ? I got the same case with you. I already changed attributes in my serial interface such as bandwidth, mtu, clock rate etc.. But, it's useless. Is this about bug issue maybe?

Alyaltahan
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Kindly note this will be solved if you changed the ROUTER ID.

In case you faced a problem, clear the ospf process of the DR & BDR ( Router# clear ip ospf process ).

I also noticed that the ROUTER ID can't be Point to Point, for Example, if you set a loop back and hard code it the ROUTER ID, by writting the command:

Router(Conf-if)# ip ospf network point-to-point

you will find the error show up on the DR as below:

%OSPF-4-BADLSATYPE: Invalid lsa: Bad LSA chksum Type 3, Length 28, LSID 44.44.44.0 from 33.33.33.33, 172.30.0.3, FastEthernet0/0

this router will not lose its neighbors which in the same area, but it will lose the other areas and won't reach the DR.

Hope This Helped.

Regards.

Ali Eltahan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card