cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MD5 Encryption for username secret ...

imuonagor
Level 1
Level 1

I wish to set up our Routers with username ... secret 5 ... (encrypted-secret). Can you recommend any tools for generating an MD5 encrypted secret for cisco ios. Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I use HashCalc. Works great and it's free.

http://www.slavasoft.com/hashcalc/index.htm

Hope that helps.

Eugene Khabarov
Level 7
Level 7

You do not need to use any additional tools. Simply add user:

(config)#username test secret test

this would look like this in configuration file:

username test secret 5 $1$6xmn$kfSZZP.K3jcKDFa7QIji3.

There are situations where the hashed password needs to be entered instead of the clear text.

I downloaded the software and typed a text "test" and clicked calculate and got the MD5 string "098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6" but when i enter this under username test secret 5 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6 i get the error message:

ERROR: The secret you entered is not a valid encrypted secret. To enter an UNENCRYPTED secret, do not specify type 5 encryption. When you properly enter an UNENCRYPTED secret, it will be encrypted. Is there something i'm not doing well? Please clarify. Thanks.

This worked for me.

username test password 7 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6

password 7 - is not md5 password!

Hello,

You cannot simply try an MD5 hash of some password. Where did you get the idea that the secret 5 indicates an MD5 hash would follow? It isn't an MD5 hash.

A simple test to prove this. I have added an enable secret password of "cisco" to my device. The computed MD5 hash of "cisco" is "dfeaf10390e560aea745ccba53e044ed".

The router computed... "$1$voTM$qP2CfLDlxdeD1ofoVoYmp."

Now, notice the encrypted password on the router is 30 characters long. However, MD5 hashes are always 32 characters long.

Cisco IOS does not employ a simple MD5 hash to protect the enable secret password, especially with the rise of MD5 hash dictionaries.

Could you assist with the right thing to do? i need to use the MD5 form of secret. What input should i have. The syntax says an encrypted secret should follow. Thanks in advance.

Yea, your missing the point. It is not the MD5 form of the secret, but rather some encrypted form of the secret.

Do you know what the secret password is in plain text? If so, drop it on a router using the "enable secret " command and do a show run. In the running config you will find the encrypted version of your password. I am still not sure why you must have the encrypted version...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card