cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dot1q trunking

dcwright
Level 1
Level 1

Can I configure a dot1q trunk with "switchport trunk allowed vlan none" for the sole purpose of checking connectivity without passing any traffic. Do the switches just send BPDU's for the native vlan and nothing else.

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Why does it have to be a trunk if you just want to check connectivity?

Just connect the two ports and be done with it. Each port will be placed in vlan1.

Don,

To make sure that what is going on. Please do a "sh interface trunk" command. Is Vlan1 still allowed?

"Remove VLAN 1 from the allowed list so you can disable VLAN 1 on any individual VLAN trunk port in order to reduce the risk of spanning-tree loops or storms. When you remove VLAN 1 from a trunk port, the interface continues to send and receive management traffic, for example, Cisco Discovery Protocol (CDP), Port Aggregation Protocol (PAgP), Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP), Dynamic Trunking Protocol (DTP), and VLAN Trunking Protocol (VTP) in VLAN 1."

HTH,

Toshi

I'd like to do this so my tech's can make the connections (and verify the link) without the possibility of a spanning-tree change or issue.

Just make a vlan that is not being used and put both ports in that vlan and plug it in . It would be pretty safe .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card