Views
Helpful
Replies

dhcp issue

Matthew Ratliff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello mates!

I've got a strange issue that I haven't encountered before. What's happening is a particular ssid allows an association, but will not provide a dhcp address. Now, I have another ssid on the same controller, pointing to the same dhcp server, but different scope and it pulls dhcp fine for the clients. The ssids are in two differnt vlans. Both vlan interfaces contain an ip helper address. Both interfaces on the WLC contain a dhcp server address as well. Under the ssid's, advanced tab, they have the option for dhcp assignment required checked. So both setups look exactly the same. I can ping the dhcp server from the vlan with the ssid in question, so reachability isn't the issue. I've tried disabling the dhcp proxy feature on the WLC, but no go. The only difference that I can find is at the switch level. Keep in mind this is a wism. The ssid that I'm having the trouble with is on vlan 78, and on the switch it is set for the native vlan connecting back to the wism for the internal gig interfaces. shewww...any idea?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you plug a wired host/client into a switch and configure to the same VLAN, do you still get an invalid IP Address?

On the configuration for the 6500 chassis and the WiSM, do you have the VLAN's enabled and allowed?

Are you using H-REAP?

I'm not using HREAP.

Yes, I can plug a wired client in and get an ip.

The vlans are enabled and allowed.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your management and ap managers should be set on the wlc's as vlan "0" and what ever vlan they are on should be the one set to native vlan. It is best practice. All your dynamic interfaces should be tagged and you also should verify that you are allowing all your vlans on your etherchannel.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

This all checks out.

I've set it as you have described.

What type of security are you using? If you're using WEP, and you have the wrong key configured, clients will be unable to DHCP.

I found the fix.

What I had to do was go in and toggle the security under Layer2. Strange, but I switched it from static wep to wpa2 then back. That corrected the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: