Views
Helpful
Replies

Scheduled shutdown

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using Cisco 4510R Switch. Is it possible to shutdown this switch at a predetermined time, Scheduled shutdown?

I want to shutdown the switch daily at 1 AM automatically, so that next day i will power on manually

I Hope you will help me to get the suitable answer

Thanks in advance

R.B.Kumar

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

"Is it possible to shutdown this switch at a predetermined time, Scheduled shutdown?"

No. You must use the on/off switch or unplug the switch from the power outlet to shut it down.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi R.B.,

Victor's right. No way you can schedule an appliance to power down, however, you can schedule a power reload "reload in" or "reload at".

Another option is using Cisco's new feature called Energywise.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_50_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp10904924

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

R.B.Kumar,

The device itself can't do what you are after but if you want to spend some $$$, get yourself a managed PDU (Power Distribution Unit) from one of the main vendors (APC, Avocent,Tripp Lite, etc) and not only can you schedule a shutdown but it also can bring the system up from remote in addition to protecting the system from power surges.

If you don't have the $$ to invest and cheap solution is getting an electric timer which can be found in most hardware stores.

What's the purpose for shutting down the unit? Saving electricity in the Lab?

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi Edison,

Your answer is very valuable to me.

In fact my intention is not to save $$. It is a Campus LAN built for a university. I want to shutdown the Coreswitch during Midnight so that no student will access the network.

Ofcourse I believe the answer you provided applicable to my requirement too

R.B.Kumar

Instead of shutting down the switch (which can potentially create wear and tear on the internal electronics), I recommend investigating 802.1x for your network.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/dot1x.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unsure whether 4500 supports this possible solution, but instead of shutting the switch physically down, perhaps you might be able to use timed based ACLs to block all traffic from 1 AM until some time later that morning. Timed ACLs also, I believe, "know" the weekday so you might vary the schedule on weekends. (If timed based ACLs are supported, you might also just target specific VLANs or ports, so only your student access is blocked. Avoiding physical reoccurring power-off/on might be better on the equipment too.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card