Aironet 1200 series - low signal strength at close proximity to AP

Answered Question
Mar 28th, 2009

I recently bought a Aironet 1200 series access point (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) and did the initial configuration - Setup IP on the AP, setup an SSID and enable the radio.

I used my laptop to connect to the SSID that I had created, but to my surprise the signal strength of my SSID was only 2 bars and sometimes 1 bar and I am within 2 feet of the access point! On the other hand, the signal quality/connection speed was varying between 24mbps and 36mbps.

Why is the signal strength so low?

Is is because I did not buy them with external antennas?

Did I miss something during the initial configuration?

Is there some option that I change/fine tune in the GUI to get better signal strength?

Plz help.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by scottmac about 7 years 8 months ago

"Is is because I did not buy them with external antennas?"

Yes, that's correct. There are no internal antennas on that model of AP.

You need at least one, preferably two antennas of the same type for each radio. If you have the older "A" radio with the paddle antenna, then you only need one or two antennas for the 2.4G radio.

Good Luck

Scott

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
scottmac Sat, 03/28/2009 - 14:36

"Is is because I did not buy them with external antennas?"

Yes, that's correct. There are no internal antennas on that model of AP.

You need at least one, preferably two antennas of the same type for each radio. If you have the older "A" radio with the paddle antenna, then you only need one or two antennas for the 2.4G radio.

Good Luck

Scott

Sherwin Clarke Sat, 03/28/2009 - 15:32

Thanks for your answer Scott, I was hoping that it wasn't an antenna problem.

Now to choose the a pair of antennas for the 2.4GHz radio...

Leo Laohoo Sat, 03/28/2009 - 15:52

Try minimizing the use of your AP's when your antennaes are not attach so as not to permanently damage the radio modules.

Actions

This Discussion