SPA9000+SPA400 disconnect/drop in/out call(s) after NN seconds

Unanswered Question
Mar 28th, 2009

I have searched many pages/forums on internet, but couldn't find exactly what is the reason for disconnecting/droping/hangup the call and how it could be fixed. In general the fix ideas are grouped into a few groups:

1. Changing disonnect frequencies on spa400 in accourding to the country's code. See

2. "Force proxy" check on SPA9000

3. change "line preferances" on SPA400.

Any other fix idea is very wellcome????

Does anybody else has got the problem? What you have made to fix the issue?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Alberto Montilla Mon, 03/30/2009 - 01:59

Dear Kresimir;

Could you please describe a bit more the issue you are facing?

I'm also having the same issue here.

It all started to happen after upgrading to the following firmware.

SPA9000 - 6.1.5

SPA400 -

SPA962 - 6.1.5(a)

1. After hanging up from a call, the phone rings back a few seconds later.  When you pick up the handset, no one is there.

2. When making a call, sometimes the receiving party can't hear the caller.

3. When making a call, sometimes after a few seconds of conversation the call cuts out.

4. Can hear dial tone but call doesn't connect.

Patrick Born Thu, 04/09/2009 - 14:48

Hi Warren,

I'd like you to run some tests. I'll contact you with specifics.

krpacisco Thu, 04/16/2009 - 09:14

Hi Alberto,

I am sorry for the such delay on your question.I have tried several things on the equimpent and got some improvements. I have changed: 

a) "Repeat count" at "Call progress tone detection" tab of SPA400 (it is now 3 times, default value was 1 time),

b) "Call progress tone detection" to 750ms (the value created by install wizard here was 120ms)

c) "Tear down FXO port when silence detected for 300s" (the value created by install wizard was 60s).

For now, it looks, there are no problems with droping the call after some period of time.

But, I have found some new problems related to the droping the call:

1.   1. First problem is related, when SPA9x2 station (one from the inbound calling group: 201 is local group number) create outside call and another inbound call appear. The system drop the first outbound call and remains only second inbound call. This is very unpleasant situation. 

2.   2. The second is related to the silence at call after one previous inbound/outbound call remains on hold for some time by some of the stations from 201 group. If any inbound or outbound call appear the that time (during the hold), one side of the participants of the call could not hear other side. If I manualy kill the holded call (on SPA9000 PBX page), the system would work ok (both side could hear eachother).

Have a look at the Warren post too.

Is I   Is it possible that system drop the outside call if other inbound call appear on the same number? E.g. One outside call is in progress on tel. number 123-456-78 and I do other call form other place using the same number 123-456-78.

I hope this helps. If anything else is needed please let me konw. I do have a lot of issues here.

Best regards,

krpacisco Tue, 04/28/2009 - 07:12

I have finnaly found the way how to fix disconnect/drop in/out calls after NN seconds.

At least you need to try to change "Loop period shut-down as disconnect signal" at Setup-Voice page and number of repeat counts (3) at Tone page of SPA400.
Acctualy, try to play with "Minimum period for disconnect signal:      750 ms" and "Tear down FXO port when silence detected for : 300 sec" parameters and make it bigger.

But some new probles appear. See my new discussion.

Patrick Born Tue, 04/28/2009 - 08:17

Thanks for letting me know Kresimir.

One caution aboutincreasing Tear down FXO port when silence detected is that sometimes you will have to wait for a long period before getting dial tone if the remote party hangs up.

krpacisco Tue, 04/28/2009 - 14:11

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the advice. But, I could not find the reason way keeping one call on hold have huge impact on other calling session.E.g. one call is on hold (on 123-456-789 PTSN), new call session on 123-456-999 appear. The parties on second call could not hear eachother (actualy, one side could hear other but vice versa does not). After droping manualy the hold session (on http:/status), a new calls becomes normal (the parties could hear eachother).

This happens often, since the secretary press hold button often.

What could be the reason for such a behaviour and what could be the 'solution'? Btw: I do have syslog, and I can send it if needed. Let me know.

Patrick Born Tue, 04/28/2009 - 14:36

Hi Kresimir,

Yes, please send me a syslog that was captured during this event.

Please also send me the configuration of the SPA9000, the phone, and the SPA400.

Please confirm my understanding of the problem:

1. SPA9000 phoneA is speaking to external caller1

2. External caller2 calls

3. SPA9000 phoneA places external caller1 on hold

4. SPA9000 phoneA answers external caller2

SPA9000 phoneA and external caller2 cannot hear each other, one side can hear, but the other cannot hear

5. http:///admin/status shows external caller1's call

6. Select external caller1's call

7. Click delete

8. SPA9000 phoneA and external caller2 can now hear each other and speak

Is the above accurate?

William Paulsen Wed, 04/07/2010 - 15:49

Was their ever a resolution to this issue? Yes,  I realize it's been almost 1 year.  Now, with all my other problems with SPA504/SPA9000/SPA400 we're getting dropped PSTN calls.  This generally happens when 2 PSTN calls are active, and when another PSTN call appears, then one of the active PSTN calls gets dropped.

codestuff Fri, 04/09/2010 - 01:59

We have a similar setup with the same firmware versions and have been having call drop outs and handset resets during calls since we installed the system. resetting the hardware does seem to help but it's not conclusive.

Is this problem being addressed?

naazish_khatri Sun, 12/12/2010 - 06:18

Codestuff, were you able to find solution to your problem could you please share it here. We have a similar problem of call getting disconnected after 10 to 15 mins.

This Discussion