Views
Helpful
Replies

phone call over IPsec VPN

pedrobranca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to establish a phone call between two sites through an IPsec VPN. I am able to establish the phone call however the call is not going through the VPN.

My scenario is:

7960 phone --- switch --- 2811 router --- router --- 2811 router --- switch --- 7960 phone.

The VPN is working since I am able to ping from a host on the same network as the phone to a host on the other end and in the same network as the other phone, and the ping goes through the VPN.

Any ideas/solutions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

Hi,

Sometimes pinging isn't an accurate test for the VPN. The ACLs that allow traffic may not be purely IP based, but also on protocol. As well, your ACLs may be from the phone to the CME IP, but not from phone to phone.

A good way to test if you're getting packets or not is to either go to the phone webpage or press the green '?' mark twice quickly, and it will bring up a screen.

If this is CME, you may find that adding 'mtp' under the ephone configuration helps as well for a workaround.

hth,

nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: