cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best practices for two site UC500 system

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I need to put together a two site, two UC500 based system and this is something I haven't done before. Looking for some tips on how to best architect this. One site is significantly larger than the other (64U UC500 and 16U UC500) and both will have PRI PSTN connections and QoS enabled MPLS data circuits between them. I guess I would start with the dialing plan. Should I use 3 or 4 digit extensions? What other issues will I have to deal with and/or plan for?

Thanks,

Diego

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Diego,

SIP and H323 dial peers are actually very similar - the only difference is that SIP dial peers have the 'session protocol sip' command. The default is H323.

-nick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hi Diego,

The largest problem seen with implementations like this is addressing. Since the UC520 comes with a fully loaded config, most people do not change the addressing. This causes a problem later on when you have overlapping IP addresses. This is especially common with CUE.

Otherwise, it should be fairly straight forward. Make sure you do not have overlapping DNs at either site (causes problems with leaving voicemails), and run either a SIP or H323 connection between the two sites. Most people find H323 to have less problems.

You will probably want to create two or three extra dial peers on each UC520:

1) Site to site extensions

2) Site to site voicemail/AA - may be the same as 1)

3) Failover site PSTN dial peers with a higher preference than the local pots dial peers.

hth,

nick

I usually redo the UC500's so IP addresses won't be a problem. What do you mean by overlapping DNs? I plan to use 2xx for extensions at one site and 3xx for the other. That should be OK, no? Lastly, can you point me to a H323 example for site-to-site? I am only familiar with SIP.

Thanks,

Diego

Hi Diego,

If you're familiar with SIP, you can use that. If you don't want to, H323 is very very similar.

dial-peer voice 1 voip

session target ipv4:1.1.1.1

dtmf-relay h245-alpha

codec g711u

no vad

destination-patter 1...

voice service voip

allow h323-to-h323

no supp h450.2

no supp h450.3

no supp h450.12

hth,

nick

What makes that dial-peer example H323? The codec value?

Thanks,

Diego

Hi Diego,

SIP and H323 dial peers are actually very similar - the only difference is that SIP dial peers have the 'session protocol sip' command. The default is H323.

-nick

Cool, thanks,

Diego

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: