Views
Helpful
Replies

857w - problems joining lan and wlan

olyapovgrrc
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

First of all, i'll try to describe our network. It cosists of wired and wireles PCs, joined in one network with the same mask (192.168.1.0/24):

Wired Clients-----WirelessBridge((( )))WrelessBridge-------cisco857w((( )))Wreless Clients

"-----" means wired connection, brackets - wirelles connection.

Wired and wireless clients are located in different buildings, wich are connected with wirelles bridges (linksys wet200). Cisco 857w works as an Access Point for wireless PCs and as a router for a whole network.

Since there is no way to give to wireless (dot11radio) and wired (vlan1) interfaces of router adresses from one subnet, i configured bvi and irb (config in attachment).

Problem.

1) Wireless clients all can enter internet successfully.

2) If wired client connected directly to lan interface of router, it has no problems also.

3) But clients are situated behind wireless bridges, cannot enter internet. But they successfully ping router and all other clients.

So i don't know how wirelless bridgess affect routing, and need help.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't see anything in your config that jumps out as incorrect. Are you sure that your linksys bridges are on the same 192.168.1.x subnet, and the workstations behind those bridges are on the same? Can you ping the router when you're connected behind one of the bridges?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

All bridges and workstations are on the same 192.168.1.x subnet, and PCs behind bridges can ping router.

Wireless net at the router and at bridges have different ssids. Maybe problem connected with this?

Also, workstations behind bridges have no problems, if router configured with no bvi and irb (lan and wireless interfaces of 857w are on different subnets). But there is another problem in this case - PCs are on different subnets cannot see each other.

Hello Sergey,

>> Wireless net at the router and at bridges have different ssids. Maybe problem connected with this?

likely it is a problem

>> PCs are on different subnets cannot see each other.

you can use the interface based ip helper address for this

int f0/0

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 10.10.20.255

int f0/1

ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0

ip helper-address 10.10.10.255

this makes possible to search a pc also on the other subnet and viceversa

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card