Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Calculation on the link

t4tauseef33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 1 MB lease line connected to the router. The interface is showing bandwidth utilization 100 Kb/s in inbound direction and 200 Kb/s in outbound direction. How can i calculate that how much i am using from 1 Mb. is i have to combine both of them and would say 300Kb/s or not? give me the formula to calculate bw on the links please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

YES YOU'RE RIGHT.

2 MBPS can be the total throughput.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

Reduce the load-interval of the interface first.

load-interval 30

Then verify the show interface command output which will give you the current utilization. For a 1 Mb circuit you may get 1 Mb downstream and 1 Mb upstream bandwidth.

Router#sh int Fa0/1

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up

30 second input rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec

30 second output rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec

The value is in bits/sec. My upstream would be 3 Kbps Downstream and 3 Kbps Upstream.

Thanks for your reply.

So its mean maximum i can get is 1000Kbits/sec=1Mbits/sec in inbound direction and 1000Kbits/sec=1Mbits/sec in outbound direction at the same time.

so maximum 2000kbits/sec (1000kbits/sec inbound & 1000Kbits/sec outbound)is the traffic flowing through the lease line. is that right?

YES YOU'RE RIGHT.

2 MBPS can be the total throughput.

A related problem:

"sho int Dialer0" shows an input rate of 45000 bits/s and an output rate of 65000 bits/sec.

The interface Status of Dialer0 in the SDM shows Bandwidth Usage at a constant 100%

My adsl line speed max 24Mbps down and 1Mbps upload

Does this mean that my traffic is exceeding the bandwidth available or is there a setting I need to be looking at?

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card