Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Calculation on the link

t4tauseef33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 1 MB lease line connected to the router. The interface is showing bandwidth utilization 100 Kb/s in inbound direction and 200 Kb/s in outbound direction. How can i calculate that how much i am using from 1 Mb. is i have to combine both of them and would say 300Kb/s or not? give me the formula to calculate bw on the links please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

YES YOU'RE RIGHT.

2 MBPS can be the total throughput.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

Reduce the load-interval of the interface first.

load-interval 30

Then verify the show interface command output which will give you the current utilization. For a 1 Mb circuit you may get 1 Mb downstream and 1 Mb upstream bandwidth.

Router#sh int Fa0/1

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up

30 second input rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec

30 second output rate 3000 bits/sec, 3 packets/sec

The value is in bits/sec. My upstream would be 3 Kbps Downstream and 3 Kbps Upstream.

Thanks for your reply.

So its mean maximum i can get is 1000Kbits/sec=1Mbits/sec in inbound direction and 1000Kbits/sec=1Mbits/sec in outbound direction at the same time.

so maximum 2000kbits/sec (1000kbits/sec inbound & 1000Kbits/sec outbound)is the traffic flowing through the lease line. is that right?

YES YOU'RE RIGHT.

2 MBPS can be the total throughput.

A related problem:

"sho int Dialer0" shows an input rate of 45000 bits/s and an output rate of 65000 bits/sec.

The interface Status of Dialer0 in the SDM shows Bandwidth Usage at a constant 100%

My adsl line speed max 24Mbps down and 1Mbps upload

Does this mean that my traffic is exceeding the bandwidth available or is there a setting I need to be looking at?

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card